Theyre History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theyre History

Once upon a time there was a device called a modem. I once owned one made by Atari and it would allow me to connect at 250 Baud. Life was truly wonderful. Then my neighbor got a modem made by Indus, simply called GT, that would connect at 500 baud. How can anyone possibly top that speed I thought.

Alot has happened since 1985 and modems have evolved into the modern day Router. The Router, King of the hill right now, how can anyone possibly top their speed?

be patient, I'll think of something.

250 baud - but look at the size of an OS or program, it works out about the same on DL times :laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

That is like comparing apples and oranges. Back then simple words or messages were sent, like Hello, or Whats for dinner. To send and receive that would take approximately a minute. Now I could send a picture of every item for dinner in half that time.
      The big difference is that today we have the router connected to a 2 ghz comp, while the modem was connected to a 64K computer. Our 1meg download is complemented by the computer. Back then 64k was an anchor.

Comment

OOH
        Tell me more about this 1MB download!
        Sounds great!
        You optimize pictures well if you can send them to my pitiful dialup in the specified amount of time:thumb:
        LOL
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

It is just a matter of time and my half a minute will be a reality. In my area half a hundered ADSL lines, plus or minus 10, are installed 5 days a week. Soon everyone can have it. If you can afford A high speed comp, you will be able to afford the connection. cometition will put the price down. zooom

Comment

hmm... modem, modulator demodulator, see the conection
            mo = modulator, dem = demodulator, mo-dem.

Just thought that might put a few of you to sleep :)

Comment

Good for you Potatoe2!
              In my area they worked on the phonelines for over 2 years before I could connect beyond 24600:cry:

How many wifi repeaters would I need to get from your house to mine?

Comment

Originally posted by Potatoe2
                It is just a matter of time and my half a minute will be a reality. In my area half a hundered ADSL lines, plus or minus 10, are installed 5 days a week. Soon everyone can have it. If you can afford A high speed comp, you will be able to afford the connection. cometition will put the price down. zooom
                wow.. every week in my area we get... 0 ADSL installs.. 0 cable.. 0 satellite.. don't you love regional areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy

wow.. every week in my area we get... 0 ADSL installs.. 0 cable.. 0 satellite.. don't you love regional areas?
                  Damn Beefy - We must be neighbors!

Comment

Unfortunately adsl doesn't work on repeaters. 18000 ft. is the maximum range. About 3 miles. Sounds to me that you are in a rural area and are operating out of a remote slick terminal(Max dial up speed is 28.8K). This could be good news for you. If the Slick is fiber fed. adsl can be installed and 3 miles from that is the range of adsl. Call your phone company and see. You might be suprised to find out that There are at least plans in the future for Adsl.
                    It is comming and Routers will rule and Modems are History.

Comment

Also, I forgot to mention that the 3 miles is dependent on the gauge of copper in the ground. The standard today is 22 guage. Old stuff is 19 guage and can reach a little farther. Just hope that your provider didnt skimp and go with 26 guage.

See ya.

Comment

You can get satellite out in SD, as anywhere in North America.... :P

Comment

Slow, Slow, And Slow. In the future that could be a good way to go but right now Satellite is very costly, inconsistant and a little better than dial up. Also it is subjective to weather just like satellite tv. If you live where it is always sunny then it might work great but still costly and slow compared to Cable and Dsl.

Comment

Originally posted by Potatoe2
                            Sure adsl is for everyone,,,ha bullsh*t, you have to be within 35k friggin feet of the asdl GOD

Comment

Originally posted by Rancher

Sure adsl is for everyone,,,ha bullsh*t, you have to be within 35k friggin feet of the asdl GOD
                              LOL
                              I have to drive 20 miles to get a loaf of bread:laugh:
                              Bandwidth just isn't in my future.

Unless someone would be willing to donate about $1400 for the first years satelite hookup:cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X