No announcement yet.

Theyre History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get great c-band sat here in Fairbanks AK. 120miles south of the arctic circule. We also have dishnet + their internet starband subsid, but geez what a slug of bucks just ta hook in then $60 mo for terrible 30ms latency times. Can you a game via this crap?
    And the uploads are 33% slower then the downloads, whatever they are at any given time. I'm 30miles to that loaf of bread Mr C

Comment

$60 a month ain't too bad for satelite though.
      Is that the total, or is there all kind of weird charges and taxes like on a phone bill?
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Unless someone would be willing to donate about 00 for the first years satelite hookup
        What? I have a brochure that says I can get hooked upto a satellite system for 400$ of hardware, plus 40$ a month.... and around here (Wisconsin) a second phone line costs 20$, and 56K dialup costs 22$... so if you need to use the internet much at all, rural areas it is far more cost effective to go with satellite...

My parents currently have a mini satellite dish, and the only times i have ever seen a reduction in quality is during the absolute peak of a BIG storm... the longest the tv reception has ever been affected in 2 minutes... so I highly doubt that weather plays MUCH of a role in significantly reduced speeds...

what a slug of bucks just ta hook in then mo for terrible 30ms latency times. Can you a game via this crap?
        Haha! 30 ms is wonderful for gaming... absolutly devine. You mean 300ms... which you would be VERY lucky to get over satellite...

still costly and slow compared to Cable and Dsl
        Duh. We aren't debating the situation for urban areas...

Comment

Here the $400 for equipment is the same.
          Per month it's $69 -- then add on a wad of taxes so we'll realistically call it $75.
          I have PrimeStar for TV service (it's rural here remember?)
          They have a little cheaper rate for satelite connection, however when surfing through the onscreen guide to get the channel listings the thing is horribly slow and blanks out quite often for up to 1 minute. There is no way in hec I would use that "service" to provide my internet connection.

As far losing the signal goes, it has improved greatly in the last 2 years, but it is still not as good as what you are experiencing.

My ISP charges $20.75 per month (tax and all), in addition I pay the phone company $2.60 per month so I can dial that number as a local call.
          As for the second phoneline -- my wife don't need to be on the phone when I'm home anyway
          But don't tell her that:laugh:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Well Rancher, 35k ft is a pipe dream. That would be excellent if Adsl could reach that far. As I said earlier in this thread, 18k ft is the max range and repeaters or doublers cannot be used. The industry is dominated by Cisco and Nortel and for the most part they are compatible with one another.
            Well Mr C, 20 miles is way out there but you are not 20 miles from your remote or slick. I am in rural minnesota and most of Minnesota has Adsl, Dsl, or some form of Broadband. South Dakota is more rural than most states and Broadband may take longer to reach you. If I was a bettin man I would say within the next 2 years some sort of Broadband will be there. The industry is growing amazingly fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
              a month ain't too bad for satelite though.
              Is that the total, or is there all kind of weird charges and taxes like on a phone bill?
              It ain't worth it ta me MR C
              Just the UPS/FEDEX charges are twice what you pay for 2nd day air.

Comment

Potatoe2 - being as the western portion of South Dakota is Minnesota's playground perhaps you folks could influence them to get off their hinies and get this thing rolling.
                We're making progress, the fibre-optic line ends a mere 7 miles from my house:laugh:

Rancher - you get FEDEX?
                Damn!
                FEDEX refuses to deliver to my house - *******s go to 3rd world countries - but not my house?
                Oh ya, they'll take your money and your package, then drop it in the mailbox for Uncle Sam's mail to deliver to me for about 1/2 the price that they charged you.
                What a racket

Comment

Man u people should try Broadband in the UK. Major parts of cities dont have any service and those that do get ripped off. The major UK supplier only offers 500/250 to home users at an installation price of $95 and a monthly subscription of $45 (recently cut from $60). For this u get extremely variable bandwidth and far too many system outages. Should you want to go faster u have to take on a full Business line. 1000/250 costs $175 and 2000/250 $220 a month. SDSL dont make me laugh and VDSL in my wildest dreams. I am one of the lucky few who has access to a smaller cable company who charge a reasonable $35 for 500/125 low ping and good reliability.

One last point, the telephone exchange in my area owned by the major supplier was only upgraded in the last 6 months or so. Where do I live, the countries wilderness, no, 1 mile from the centre of Scotlands capital city.

Think yourself lucky that you have a far better choice of providers and products in the US.

Moan over with. Wish u all the best :D

Comment

P.S.

System 1
                    AMD XP1800
                    Gforce3 Ti200
                    30 + 40 Gb HDD
                    ASUS A7V266-E Mobo
                    512Mb RAM
                    3 System Fans Case 30Deg and CPU 45Deg (Its cold here)

System 2
                    AMD XP1800
                    Gforce2 MX400
                    30Gb HDD
                    Chaintech Mobo
                    256Mb RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X