No announcement yet.

Splitting Broadband Signal Without A Router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting Broadband Signal Without A Router?

Hi-

Recently I purchased a Belkin Router and connected my son's Dell 4600, running Windows XP, to my Dell 4550, also running Windows XP. I have one Motorola Broadband Cable Modem, which feeds the router, which in turn feeds the two computers. For a very brief timeframe, like 24 hours, the computers were able to share files, through a shared folder, and even print to one printer. Now, all we can do is share the internet connection. I tried everything, including the router reinstallation, reconfiguring the network settings, to no avail. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. My second problem, which is more important to me than the first problem is the following. While my PC was the only computer connected to the Cable Modem, my son was able to create a server in regard to his Medal of Honor Allied Assault Spearhead game, in which I guess the server was assigned the IP address of my computer. He was able to set this server up and control all the admin functions etc. Apparently since we installed the router, he is not only unable to do this on his PC, but it also no longer works on the PC that it worked on previously. Not knowing too much about this stuff, we thought it might be a firewall issue, with the router. We deactivated the firewall of the router, and even went as far as temporarily deactivating the firewall within XP and the Symantec firewall. This accomplished nothing. We are assuming that it has something to do with the router, and probably an IP address issue. Maybe the people trying to access the server are getting hung up within the router? Is there a way to get the IP address of the Router to match the IP address of his computer, and if so, would that help the matter? One other thought, if this can't be done. Is there any way that I can split the broadband signal, after it comes into the house, and then send it into 2 Cable Modems, one for each computer?

My son is driving me crazy!!! Please Help.

Thank You!

Sunyb36

Re: Splitting Broadband Signal Without A Router?

Does your router act as a hub or a switch? It should designate on the packaging.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

It acts as a switch.

Comment

Hmmm... that didn't help then. A switch should be able to handle your tasks easily. I use a Netgear router/switch with cable and have no troubles getting any of my three machines access to the web at any time. The switch generally handles the internal IP address assignments automatically. Does your cable company allow multile machines? I've heard of some of them not acting properly when it detects multiple machines connecting through their service. Even though the IP will be externally the same for each machine accessing the Internet, the cable companies can usually tell if there are multiple connections from your IP address.

Sorry for not being more helpful but that's the only thing that jumps to mind.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X