Broadband tweaking guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband tweaking guide

Hi. I have a old (2-3yrs) dsl connection. I am with pacbell.net and i am linked through a internal ethernet card ( Efficient Networks 3060) I was looking at the broadband tweaker guide and tried the Dr TCP program mentioned there. Soooo....

Nothing happens, doctcp does not see my dsl card. Any body have any comments or suggestions. My connection now is @ +- 950kbs and I was hoping to improve that. I'll keep looking but if you know of a known problem with this progam and my dsl card I would appreciate knowing

Thanks

This is the 1st place that I'd go to, http://www.speedguide.net/ , followed by http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ and http://www.dslreports.com/ :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks wiggo there is a lot of info on those sites.

Comment

Well ive tried tweaking the registry and 2 of the batches listed on the links above and have had no luck. I would like to get this connection working faster. Maybe im looking for the wrong thing. Ive been triing the ethernet batches. Is this the right one for me? I have a efficient networks 3060 internal ethernet card (dsl modem)

Comment

the 2nd link wiggo listed is a great one, you want to tune your recieve window to speed up your connection. (it doesnt REALLY speed it up, it just makes the server send you information longer before waiting for confirmation). if you are getting 950kbps download speeds with your connection, i wouldnt worry about speeding it up, that is extremely fast for a home user. (i have hit a max of 460k ONCE). :)
          [space saving sig]
          AMD 0wn3z j00!
          [/space saving sig]

Comment

Thanks wizard. I do have a good dsl connection but thought I could get a little more out of it. I think I will stick with what I have.

Comment

You cannot exceed the max speed that your service provider has programed your router and their equipment to train up at. For instance: My Router is programed to top out at 1meg down and 128k up. On a good day I get about 850 or so. Alot of factors weight in and can keep you from reaching max speed. Most of those are out of your control.

Comment

Potatoe, that is not entirly true. Many cable providers cap you by capping eacy individual transfer at lets say, 30, 40, 50K.... whatever.... Get something like DAP (http://www.speedbit.com/), and POOF, it connects multiple connections per download, and it can get you easily quintuple the transfer speed...

Comment

I know very little conscerning Cable Broadband however; I know Adsl intimately and nothing, Absolutely nothing can make you go faster than the max settings at the Dslam in the CO. The routers are programed via lap top to hand shake with the Dslam before they are given to the customer. Adsl has one dedicated line per customer and does not share the bandwidth with anyone else, at least until it reaches the DS3's.
                  If you had access to the software, you may be able to unlock the router but you still would have to load the necessary software at the DSLAM. There have been rumors that the Adsl network can be programed up to 8 meg. However most of the copper pairs that I have analysed barely can barely support 2meg download. Again, that all depends on copper guage and distance from the CO.

Comment

Potatoe2 you mention routers in your posts above. Is my internal effecient networks 3060 pci card a router or a ethernet card?

Comment

No... no NIC is a router by itself... your computer COULD become one if it had two NIC's and set the computer up to perform as a router. But if you only have one computer attached to the connection, you most likely do not have a router.

Comment

Hmm, I believe that we are having two entirely different discussions here.
                        TisMeDT if you have DSL then you must have a router/ dsl modem. If it is not external then it can be built into your nic card. I have a external router(the most common) and It can be connected to my pc through my usb or my nic card. The nic is prefrerable. Yours definitely could be a nic with a built in router for dsl.
                        Zeradul, I know little about networking. All I know is that I can plug my router into a hub which splits my connection and both of my computers can grab an IP through there individual nic cards. However the performance of my Router never changes and the max combined speed of both computers is 1 meg. This is the max internet connection. I do understand that the two computers can communicate much faster than that with each other however. That sums up my total and very limited knowlege of Nic cards. Pitiful aint it.

Comment

Working...
                        X