Cable Modem Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Modem Problems

Ok, I have a cable modem hooked up to a old 10BaseT Hub with an uplink feature. The modem assigns one of the computers with all of the nessary addresses, but leaves the other one out to pasture. Even if I relase the ip configuration, it still remains locked onto that computer. It locks on to that one computer until I phiscally remove the power cord from the back of the modem. Is there any way to get my computer to act like a router or any other way to share the connection? (without the purchase of additional equipment?)

You would have to have a PC or a router to share the connection.
    My setup uses a PC with 2 nics in it, one for the cable connection and the other to share it of to the switch where the other PC's here pick it up.
    You will also need an internet sharing program for the PC that connects to the internet and I use Windows ICS which comes with Windows Operating System from 98SE onwards. It can be installed by putting your Windows CD in and goin' to add/remove programs, Windows setup and you will find it under Internet Explorer.
    A router has to just be configured but throwning your modem on a hub won't work.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

well all i can add to what Andy said is call ur cable company and ask them to give u more ip addreses i think max they can give u is 3(it is for me) at no extra charge (where i live) i have 3PCs and each on a seperate ip adress only cause its free :p and the advantage of having seperate ip adresses in connecting to same ftp sites with multiple computers or playing CS :rolleyes: on the same server with friends at ur house and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
        Maxpowers[/size]]
        well all i can add to what Andy said is call ur cable company and ask them to give u more ip addreses i think max they can give u is 3(it is for me) at no extra charge (where i live) i have 3PCs and each on a seperate ip adress only cause its free :p and the advantage of having seperate ip adresses in connecting to same ftp sites with multiple computers or playing CS :rolleyes: on the same server with friends at ur house and so on...
        Now why can't it be like here? :cry:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

dont sweat it Wiggo, i only get one ip also :(
          [space saving sig]
          AMD 0wn3z j00!
          [/space saving sig]

Comment

Working...
          X