Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable router

i'm trying to setup a small home network so any help is much appreciated

if i buy something like this: http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00002469

can i just plug my cable modem into it then a normal network cable to any pC? is this possible?? i don't exactly want a setup with a switch where one has to be on all the time.

Would it be better to have a switch or a router?

btw, is that router that i've directed you to any good??

Thanks in advance

Good choice.

What the router will do is it will do all the internet connecting and routing. There's 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports on it. You plug your modem into the WAN port, and anything that you plug into the LAN port will have internet access. The 4 LAN ports basically act as a switch even if you don't have / want the net access. The router will also work as a hardware firewall, which is very handy.

A switch won't do the job properly. so definitely go for the router.

Comment

oh ok, thanks

say i want to expand my network, could i buy a 8 port switch and plug on of those lan ports into the switch and make the switch do something similar to the router?

Comment

just link a switch to one of the ports on the router and you'll be set. you only need one router at the access point, everything else gets networked out from there.

Comment

sweet :)

Comment

Working...
          X