Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless and PCMCIA

I have a question which hopefully someone wll be able to help with:

I am testing X-Micro's latest 802.11g wireless gear at the moment including PCMCIA adapter. Can someone tell me what the maximum transfer rates are on each type of PCMCIA adapter?

I'm wondering if my lower transfer rates around 30mbps (when the device is rated for 108mbps in Turbo mode) is due to the fact that the PCMCIA bus is being flooded.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Speed through PCMCIA adapters does not differ for type I,II or III, these are just physical specs for the size of the card i believe.

I guess the only limiting factor is the speed of the PCMCIA bus.

16 bit PCMCIA bus theorietical max transfer speed is 20mb/s.

32 bit PCMCIA bus theorietical max transfer speed is 132MB/s.

I think wireless cards drop their speed in steps as singal strength weakens, and those flat cards with no external antenna have bugger-all range.

Sorry, that's all I can think of right now!

Comment

Megabyte or Megabits? :)
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Here's something I can offer... I have an old laptop, with a new Netgear PCMCIA card... I'm not sure if it is the hard drive or the PCMCIA slot that is the limiter here, but i max out at around 700KBytes/sec

Comment

turbo mode generally only works when all the devices connecting to the WAP are the same brand and type.. I have a WAP/Radius server i made out of an old dell486 laptop with a dlink wifi card. when i use a laptop that has another dlink wifi card my transfer rate can be up to 7-8MB/sec which is double the speed i get with my orinocco card or my toshiba pocket pc with built-in wifi.

also other observations on wifi. if you cannect and 802.11b devices to a 802.11g network the network will slow to the 802.11b speed..

Comment

Working...
          X