Crossover Network.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover Network.

lok i need some help installinga crossover cable network.
    i know that each end of the cable has to go 2 a NIC card in each computer, but how do i set it up so that i can use my friends comcast cable?

do i just have to enable internet sharing and will i automatically be able to use his connection on my pc?

can u guys give me some detailed answers. thx

crossover is only for 2 systems
    unless you add another nic to one of the systems, or buy a router and plug all systems into it with regular patch cables.

Comment

i already know that

my friend already has 2 nic cards. his modem is plugged into the onboard one and there is an available one. all i want to do is hook mine up to his. btw both of us have XP

Comment

Originally posted by laxjax13
        i already know that

my friend already has 2 nic cards. his modem is plugged into the onboard one and there is an available one. all i want to do is hook mine up to his. btw both of us have XP
        well, it would help if you started by typing so people could understand what exactly you are asking. :rolleyes2

to answer your question, you use a crossover cable from your computer to his, and to make it easy, put them on the same subnet. ie, if his internal ip is 10.0.0.x, or 192.168.1.x then pick an ip in there and use that for your nic. then enable internet connection sharing on his computer, and set his ip as your proxy server (if i am not mistaken) on your computer.

next time, try not to get an attitude with people that are here to help you.
        [space saving sig]
        AMD 0wn3z j00!
        [/space saving sig]

Comment

next time, try not to get an attitude with people that are here to help you.
          First off, i didn't have an attitude with anyone.
          Second i didn't understand anything u said.
          Would using network creation wizard do all that ip configuration for me automatically?

Comment

yea, run the network setup wizard on both systems.
            make sure that you use the same name for workgroup (MSHOME by default)
            also if you have built in NIC make sure that its enabled in bios and/or not disabled
            :2cents:

Comment

k thx kane. after installing ICS will i have to do anything else so that i can share the connection or will the connection be already there?

just a side note. i took my pc to an interne cafe before, and i didn't have to run any software. all i did was plug my pc into one of the available cables and i automatically got the connection. how is this done?

Comment

well, you want to run ICS on main system, and that might create a network brige.
                As long as youre on the same domain, you really dont need to run it on second computer, but if it dont work, go ahead and run it, cuz there might be some setting thats not set right.

Comment

should i have it set as a domain or a workgrouo? and what is the dfferece?

Comment

workgroup

Comment

Working...
                    X