Sharing Connection Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing Connection Question

Lets say I have a broadband that i want to share between 2 computers (comp A and comp B)

I will then be using a router to do the sharing, So the USB modem will be connected the router and then the 2 comp (comp A and comp B) will be connected to the ethernet ports using cat5 cables.

My question is this;

Is it possible for the comp B to connect to the internet without switching on comp A? or vice versa??

Co'z i know on peer-to-peer using crossed cable is just not possible.

thanks in advance!!

as long as both systems are plugged into the router, it doesnt matter if the other one is on.
    But if youre trying to get songs form computer B, and its off, it obviously wont work.

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
      as long as both systems are plugged into the router, it doesnt matter if the other one is on.
      But if youre trying to get songs form computer B, and its off, it obviously wont work.
      Oh okay! thanks kane2g, Its just someone told me that if wanna share it I need to use Switch. I said i dont think so. So thats why i ask here to make stuff clear.

thanks!

Comment

switch, thats sort of right.
        But with switch you would need 2 IPs assigned by your ISP.
        With router, you just need 1 (for the router) and the 2pcs have IPs assigned by router whitch ISP or anyone else doesnt see.
        But if they are telling you that you need a switch in addition to router they are wrong (unless the router only has 1 LAN port, but most have at least 4)

Comment

I will agree that you don't NEED a switch, but using one is better than just a router. As to having two IP addresses required for a switch, I don't think so. I have one in my home network and it works just fine with only the single IP from the cable company. Unless it is due to the hub I have being both a router and a switch, then I can't see the need of getting another IP address from the provider.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by crazysniper22
            Its just someone told me that if wanna share it I need to use Switch.
            If the router you have has more than one LAN port, then you are fine, as it will have a switch built in. If it's only got one, then you will need a switch or hub to allow multiple connections.

Comment

thanks guys for all your replies! realy appreciate them! cheers!!

according to my ISP i can have up to 6 IP addresses. But em not gonna do that, em just gonna use the one with 1 IP then a router. Co'z i dont know how to configure the one with switch.

Oh by the way since were talking about connections... On a ADSL connection which one has a faster ratio? is it the 1MBps 50:1 or the 512kbps 20:1?? Em just confused co'z they are thesame price but on different speed.

Comment

Oh by the way since were talking about connections... On a ADSL connection which one has a faster ratio? is it the 1MBps 50:1 or the 512kbps 20:1?? Em just confused co'z they are thesame price but on different speed.
                I think it means that for every 1MBps line 50 users share it and only 20 users share the 512kbs one. So the 1MBps one could get slowed down a little from many users logged in but im not 100% for sure if this is what it means.

Comment

Working...
                X