Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Configurating firewall laws... what does what!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configurating firewall laws... what does what!

I am using a firewall and i want to know more about what i can block... like windows services, what do they do and if i can block em!
    Also i would like to now the difference between the protocols icmp, smtp udp and the others!
    THX in advance! : peace2:

don't you think you should tell us what firewall you are using :?:

Comment

we are just learning about Access Lists in Cisco, which works with physical routers. Beefy might be able to tell you more as i think he has finished the course?

:confused:

that is of course you are using a router?

Comment

Originally posted by syx
        Also i would like to now the difference between the protocols icmp, smtp udp and the others!
        THX in advance! : peace2:
        There's so many different protocols out there I'm not gonna bother listing them. Just hunt around. However, for the few you listed:

- ICMP is basically your ping packets. Can be blocked, not really worth it (unless you're getting ping flooded)
        - SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol is used for the transfer of email.
        - UDP is a general protocol which encompasses other protocols.

Like someone said, what kind of firewall are you using?

Comment

I was using Tiny personnal Firewall... until a had to pay for it!
          After that i used Sygate personnal Firewall, real nice but there is a limit of 10 rules ine the free edition. :( Now im testing Agnitum outpost firewall pro... i have 30 days to try it. I want to test as well Kerio personnal firewall and Primedius firewall Lite.

Anybody know about all these firewalls?
          And what about windows services... like svchost, lsass, netbios, system (these are in activity now)and the others?
          BTW Thanks beefy for the information!
          :thumb:

Comment

Go to www.blkviper.com for explanations of services you do and don't need. Grab XPAntispy to turn off MS reporting stuff and you can also try Zonealarm as another firewall possibility. After you clean up all of the other crap, you can now start to selectively allow communications on a one by one basis. If you don't know what it is don't let it out but google it HTH

Comment

Working...
            X