First wardrive - Ipaq style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First wardrive - Ipaq style!

I was picking up my brother from 40miles away, and had nothing better to do, so I decided to pull out the Ipaq and sniff around for some wifi networks on the way.
    I was amazed how well the little CompactFlash wifi card worked.
    From the highway, I was able to pick up 43Access Points. and only 16 of them had WEP turned on. Many, (close to half) were just on, as they came from factory. Which is pretty scary, especially that the defalt login is easly found.
    Not bad for a 30min ride.
    So I guess note to anyone with wifi in their house.
    MAKE SURE YOU GOT A WEP ON, as I can see a lot from the freeway, if I wanted to.

What program did you use to track on the Pocket PC?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

probably pocketwarrior: http://pocketwarrior.sourceforge.net/

or Ministumbler: http://netstumbler.org/

and as for the AP's that have WEP turned on if you capture enough packet you can crack WEP. ;)

Comment

I like ministumbler better than pocketwarrior.
        I am using a TrueMobile1180 CF card with Orinoco drivers. The card isnt supported by ministumbler, but when used with the driver it works just fine. Hope they finally will come out with updated version of the program!

I didnt really do anything, as I was driving, and didnt really care to get to any networks. But once I get my Carputer up and running, I am going to try to crack some WEP keys.
        From the software available, It looks like you are going to need about an hour sitting and waiting. unless its a large company with lots of traffic, and a T1 connection :devil win
        Than it will be worth it.wings:

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
          I like ministumbler better than pocketwarrior.
          I am using a TrueMobile1180 CF card with Orinoco drivers. The card isnt supported by ministumbler, but when used with the driver it works just fine. Hope they finally will come out with updated version of the program!

I didnt really do anything, as I was driving, and didnt really care to get to any networks. But once I get my Carputer up and running, I am going to try to crack some WEP keys.
          From the software available, It looks like you are going to need about an hour sitting and waiting. unless its a large company with lots of traffic, and a T1 connection :devil win
          Than it will be worth it.wings:
          you'll probably want to run Linux [knoppix is ok if you don't want to actually install linux on your carputer], as i haven't seen too many windows based WEP cracking tools. however if you install PERL on your Windows box you should be able to run wepcrack [http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/]..

Comment

Wow this area sux!! Less than 1/3 of APs detected had WEP on! About 1out of 3 had just default settings.
            I took a ride through some back country and out of 43APs, only 7 were open. and none of them had default SSIDs.

I was also wondering how well my house stands up to the same wardrive. and I was shocked. When you are standing in front of my front door, you are getting weak signal/out of range. LMAO. I got good coverage in the house, but I guess the house being brick and all helps out some!
            I am soon to test some more using a real wardrive equipment and a omni antenna on the car. Cant wait till it gets here! :cheers:

PS, as for WEP cracking, well thats not really a big concern ATM. Although there is some software that runs on linux and you can compile it to run Windows. Just havent really cared to do it, or plannin on it anytime soon. Just having fun for now.
            I just need to figure out if its possible to intall S@H on all those machines. :eek:
            :idea:
            :drool:
            :shh:
            :goes and googles for ideas:

Comment

Wow this area sux!! Less than 1/3 of APs detected had WEP on! About 1out of 3 had just default settings.
              I took a ride through some back country and out of 43APs, only 7 were open. and none of them had default SSIDs.

I was also wondering how well my house stands up to the same wardrive. and I was shocked. When you are standing in front of my front door, you are getting weak signal/out of range. LMAO. I got good coverage in the house, but I guess the house being brick and all helps out some!
              I am soon to test some more using a real wardrive equipment and a omni antenna on the car. Cant wait till it gets here! :cheers:

PS, as for WEP cracking, well thats not really a big concern ATM. Although there is some software that runs on linux and you can compile it to run Windows. Just havent really cared to do it, or plannin on it anytime soon. Just having fun for now.
              I just need to figure out if its possible to intall S@H on all those machines. :eek:
              :idea:
              :drool:
              :shh:
              :goes and googles for ideas:
              You should see what its like here in NYC.. not only are there thousands of unprotected APs in densely populated areas but people sometimes buy and setup and AP in their homes and when they connect to an AP they don't connect to their own AP they connect to someone else's and don't even realize it. ;) I even work in building where a securities company has 50 unprotected APs.

Also about 33% of the verizon payphones here are APs but are only usable to verizon dsl customers, or those who have someone else verizon logins.

Comment

I havent even gone to Chicago to see how the situation is there, Im waiting for the carputer to be finalized before I do that. :thumb:

Comment

This is good. I have just come to the realization that, since I am not currently using the wireless component of my router, it is just sitting there at default settings. Welcome world, or at least any of my neighbors sophisticated enough to take advantage of the AP I am providing. (I doubt there are any, though.) Guess I'll have to look into activating WEP asap.

BTW, I had to look up 'WEP' and found that in means "Wired Equivalent Privacy" protocol.

Thanks! :thumb:
                  :-(

Comment

i wonder how many people in my apartement complex have an unprotected AP? hmmm.... :devil:

*foruntaly I'm wired here so I don't have to worry about it :)

Comment

Orinoco/Truemobile wifi card $40 on ebay.
                      1 PCMCIA-PCI converter $25 on ebay.
                      1 Netstumbler, free from netstumbler.com
                      Free T1 connection for all you p0rn viewing needs -PRICELESS
                      LMAO

Comment

Orinoco/Truemobile wifi card on ebay.
                        1 PCMCIA-PCI converter on ebay.
                        1 Netstumbler, free from netstumbler.com
                        Free T1 connection for all you p0rn viewing needs -PRICELESS
                        LMAO
                        I love it..

you forgot $300 for a pocket PC capable of using a Compact flash card..?

incidentally you don't even need netstumbler if you are running windows XP, the wireless zero configuration service automagically finds APs for you and tries to connect to whichever one has the strongest signal. only problem there is that when more than one AP is available sometimes you can't get a releiable connection because your computer keeps trying to access an AP that it doesn't have access to [ie one with WEP on, or one connected to VPN or radius server]..

Comment

hehe, sorry to disappoint you my friend.
                          Ipaq is $370 last time I checked, unless you got some good friends in low places, in which case its a trade for a USB wifi adaptor :woot:
                          Oh and its got a SD port too, so if you want to surf for "pics" you can do so easily.

Comment

hehe, sorry to disappoint you my friend.
                            Ipaq is 0 last time I checked, unless you got some good friends in low places, in which case its a trade for a USB wifi adaptor :woot:
                            Oh and its got a SD port too, so if you want to surf for "pics" you can do so easily.
                            who says you need an Ipaq? Audiovox had a nice pocket PC with a CF slot for like under $200 but they discontinued that model. You can also get an refurb Dell Axim for about $200-250 depending upon which model you want... :idea:

Incidentally I don't like SD card Wifi its very unreliable, I prefer to use SD/MMC slots for flash memory.

Comment

CF wifi card.
                              SD is for all your p0rn viewing needs, to save up for later, cuz dialup at home sux :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X