Networking AOL 9.0 Cable Broadband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking AOL 9.0 Cable Broadband

I have been told that what I am attempting to do, is going to be very difficult. I am really, really, hoping to get some good advise, before I make the wrong purchases. I currently have a Dell Dimension 4550 Desktop, running Windows XP Home Edition. It is currently conected to the internet through AOL 9.0 Cable Broadband Service. For the most part, things go smoothly. Now we get to what I am trying to do. I want to add a second computer, a Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop(basically the same as computer 1), in next room over. I will be installing the AOL 9.0 Cable Broadband software on that PC as well. What I am trying to accomplish, is to use a wireless router, to send the signal to that room, so we can both have the service, and also be online at the same time. My cable company, for some strange reason, couldn't get my network interface card to talk to the AOL service, so they replaced it with a Intellinet PCI 10/100 Network Card. I am about 50% sure that the guy was doing something wrong, but it works, so I didn't complain. I have been told that to add the second PC, wirelessly, there are only a couple of routers and wireless network cards that will work with AOL Cable Broadband. I have no idea if this is true, and if it is, what are these particular products? I am also not sure of exactly what needs to be installed in the second room, and how these PC's will be coordinated with the one service. Do I need to buy anything more than a wireless network card, for the second room? Also, am I correct when I say that the card in the first PC can stay in and either the router and/or this thing someone called a wireless access point, will do the connecting and coordinating of the two PC's? Sorry for the lengthy message and all the questions. I can just see my son having a fit, with me sitting there on the phone, with his room torn apart, for days, trying to figure this out. Please Help. Thank You So Much!!!!

Rick

hi,
    sorry dont have wireless network nor aol broadband. i do however have telewest broadband and a network. i used the blue linksys router (not the wireless one) and then had to register the mac address or the router with my broadband providor. the other pcs just needed network cards and of course patch cables to conect all pcs.
    I think for wireless connection you would just need the wireless adapters in other pc and the wireless router.
    :smokin:
    Eye See You..........

Comment

Yeah i know those linksys routers are supported by aol, in a month im going to be geting one to network 5 computers with aol, so tell me how it goes when you get it.

Thanks

Dre

Comment

dude i wirelessly networked 3 pcs using 3 usb adapters, with telewest. i doubt aol will be any different. just make sure the range is ok, 20 metres indoor my arse!:laugh:

Comment

This may be somewhat going on a tangent, but which wireless router has the best range and what is that range.

Thanks

dre

Comment

Hey guys! I have seen in a magazine that you can boost your wireless connection with "CANTENA"

CANTENA is like an antena made with an emty tin can connected to your wireless adapter.

They say with these (CANTENA) you dont have to worry about meter ranges as it can reach up to 4 KM but i need to find the magazine to confirm this co'z i dont wanna chat **** in here. When i find it i will post it here

About the routing AOL Broadband thingy. Use the DRAYTEK products. It works fine co'z i have a friend using AOL and networked it with his other PC on the other room, and it works just fine.

Comment

Any wireless router should work fine for what you are trying to do. You basically need to choose one that offers the features you want though. Different networking standards, DHCP, port forwarding, SPI and WEP are just a few of the things you need to consider...

Cantennas are more for external building use. They work well when you've got a line of sight to another target, but don't do all that much indoors. If you place the wireless router / access point in a central location in the house, you shouldn't have any worries about range.

Comment

Working...
              X