Modem Speed to Slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modem Speed to Slow?

Three weeks ago my MSN 8 internet service started running slow. I tried MSN 8 they said to change the connection phone number will I have tried them all local that is. My speed stays at 26.4 kbps. It was at 40 kbps this is very slow and I am not sure what is wrong. I have a HP pavilion xt412 laptop. I have called HP and had them to run a INIT string on my modem. This was a reclamation from MSN 8. What is wrong nothing has changed with my phone. Is it MSN 8 running me slow. Help

did you change phone lines? I once had this problem when I was on dial-up. We had 2 different phone lines coming into the house. On one line I could nearly get 50Kb/s on the other line I could only get 26 bk/s

It was the quality of the connection at the street that was the problem, and since the phone company only has to supply a certain rate, there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Comment

Nothing here has changed with the phone as a matter of fact I even bought a new portable Phone two weeks after this happened. I use to have WebTV to surf the web but It got so bad that I could not reach a lot of my web sites. It is not called MSNTV. I am a retired Engineer from Chry. and hate to have a PC in the house it is like being back at work. So I give in and now this. I think it is MSN 8 they are either having trouble and don't want to say so or they are doing it by putting to many people on one connection.

I am going on the other side of town Wed. and I am going to try using my brothers line and if the speed is the same then it is MSN 8. I do not have cable so that is out I hear that DSL could be the same problem. If it works at my brother house then I am going to call the phone Co. and tell them I have noise on my phone that way my be they will fix the problem. But first I need to know what is wrong. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Originally posted by pmgamer
        If it works at my brother house then I am going to call the phone Co. and tell them I have noise on my phone that way my be they will fix the problem.
        do you have noise in your phone? :?:
        cos if you do; then that is a major culprit in slowing you down.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

No I don't have noise that I can hear. My friend was telling me today that he did this and it fixed the problem. And he had no noise.

Comment

Working...
          X