Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing 56k?

how do i do this?

i currently have a network set up with a Linksys cable/dsl router with a 10/100 network switch and i set it up to share files and a printer

but how do i set it up so that both users can use the 56k line at the same time

What OS do you use?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

ouch, it would take you 5 min to load google if you're both on at the same time...

if your router doesn't have a way to hook up an external modem (serial port), then you'll have to set up one of the comps for 'internet connection sharing'

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
        ouch, it would take you 5 min to load google if you're both on at the same time...

if your router doesn't have a way to hook up an external modem (serial port), then you'll have to set up one of the comps for 'internet connection sharing'
        Some routers even have a direct phone line connection for a back-up dial up connection if the DSL fails, but it's not that common.

Comment

i'm using XP-PRo

and here is a picture of the router im using (might help)

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....124-001-14.JPG

Comment

then you're going to have to go with ICS, or buy new hardware

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
            check this^ out and see if it helps

Comment

for some reason on the client computer it shows that the host computer is connected to the internet ( even shows speed and duration) but i'm not able to use the internet

Comment

Try closeing all open IE windows as well as any other internet useing programs, and re-open them.

If that doesn't do it, click 'Detect Network settings' when you get the default IE 404

If that doesn't work Go to Start > Run and type this: ipconfig /renew

Comment

Oh and make sure you have disabled all of the functions of your Router. You want it functioning as nothing more than a switch.

Comment

I have the exact same setup. I am running at 56k at the moment (upgrading to ADSL as soon as moving into new house ) I have both computers hooked up to the router. Since I don't like the interface with WinXP internet I just run a proxy on the computer that has the 56k connection. The configure the other computers to use the net. The proxy program I use is AnalogX Proxy, you can get it here http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

Comment

If you need help to configure it, just ask.
                      Also another way to share internet is by using NetBEUI Protocol, you have to install in from your WinXP CD since the protocol isn't on the OS itself yet. I can't quite remember how to configure that though, it's been awhile since I used Win98.

Comment

Working...
                      X