Windows XP Home Networking Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Home Networking Guide

Here is where you can ask questions about the Windows XP Home Networking Guide on TweakTown!

I got a question!!! I got a question!!! :wave:

Who proofread the article? :D
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
      I got a question!!! I got a question!!! :wave:

Who proofread the article? :D
      Your good self, Mike and Clinton - Just to be safe, I've been out of practice... :)

Comment

just had a read thru it, good job :thumb:
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

nice guide tweak. I can see a lot of research went into it, good job!

Comment

A really helpful article. Just wondering:

1. once the PC 'server' machine is set up to share a DSL coinnection with other machines can one of the other machines be a Mac? Is it as simple as going into the Mac's TCP/IP settings and setting the values in the same way as with a PC?

2. the instruction: 'Click Start -> Settings -> Network Connections' doesn't seem to apply to WinXP Pro (there is no 'Settings' option under Start). On XP what is the proper path?

3. so, if I understand correctly, the DSL line goes into a NIC card on the server, and a cable from a second NIC card on the server goes out to the hub which connects to the various client machines. Is this correct? And therefore we need two NIC cards for the server, right?

Comment

1. Just make sure your mac is 100% using TCP/IP and NOT Appletalk.

2. There SHOULD be a 'settings' menu under the start menu. Its there by default, so youve probaly done something to make it go awol. Checkout TweakUI, that might have an option to get it back.

3. Yes, and Yes. Just make sure that you configure the correct NIC for your network.

Comment

Also, I read that the XP inbuilt Firewall only blocks INCOMING traffic only. Any and all outbound traffic is allowed through. So if you get a trojan off a cd/disc/network or something, itll work flawlessly.

I reccomend you use Sygate or Tiny for your firewall needs.

Comment

Hello. Very helpful article. Thank you.

I have a question regarding security.
                  I do not wish to use ICS since my ADSL/cable is connected directly online.
                  Back in Windows 98, I was told NOT to bind TCP/IP to 'File and Printer Sharing' because it would be like sharing my files to the world which means my computer would be easily hacked. Instead, I was told to use Netbeui so that I would not be binding File Sharing to TCP/IP.

In Windows XP, is file sharing bound to TCP/IP? (since I can't find the Bindings tab anymore)
                  Is there a similar problem where my files would be easily hacked if file sharing was bound to TCP/IP?

I hope this makes sense because I'm not very proficient with the technical terms and details. :)

Thank you for your help.

Ungulate

Comment

How do you share files/etc on Windows XP Pro with others on a LAN... so that other ppl just need to know a password to view your files (i.e. read access, RW access - diff passwords)

Been doing this via Win9x, just got upgraded to WXP Pro. Now I can't figure out how to do it except by making user accounts for everyone who needs access.

Anyone remember how to set it so users only need to know the password to get in?

Comment

Unreg, u can't do it with XP. sadly, u can't set passwords on the shares :( all u can do is give certain users permissions to access it...

Ungulate, u HAVE to bind TCP/IP to file and print sharing...u just don't bind it to TCP/IP for the dial up adpater...if u have a NIC then it has to be bound to it...(well it does automatically neway)...pretty much, don't bind File and Print Sharing to dial up adapters TCP/IP (which it doesn't do by default neway)...hope that answers ur question

Bahamut Zer0, yeah ive heard that one too...i think it is true, i haven't tried anything myself tho..

:bounce:
                      At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

test

Comment

thanks for replying, Grim Reaper.

I'm afraid my question is still at large. hehe
                          Please allow me to clarify :)

I have an NIC that is directly connected to ADSL/Cable, no dial-up adapter.
                          I understand that TCP/IP must be bound to the NIC. That sounds fine and dandy to me.

Now, we want to have File Sharing too. From my understanding, it can be bound to different protocols (is that right? Like, Netbeui, TCP/IP, etc) back in Windows 98.

So here comes my question:
                          In WinXP, IF file sharing is bound to TCP/IP, what is the likelihood of someone hacking into my computer seeing as TCP/IP is also used to access the Internet.

I hope that clears up my question :)
                          Thank you so much for your time!

Cheers!

Ungulate

Comment

Nice article.

1. I don't think XP Pro has a "settings" option under start. You seem to have go to "My Network Places" > "View Network Connections" to get there. I have installed Win XP Pro on several systems and even my WinXP Pro (pre-intalled) Dell laptop doesn't have a "settings" option under start.

2. Another thing is that I don't get the (paraphrasing) "Cat 6 cable can transfer data at speeds from one computer on the network to another faster than 2 hard drives in the same computer could." Is Cat 6 really faster than ATA/133/166's actual transfer rates and will Cat 6 become a standard before serial ATA drives become available (can't remember actual transfer speeds).

Thanks,

Dave (too lazy to register for one post :))

Comment

Yes Cat6 has the possability there to be very fast, but that's if better standards than the present PCI one come in as that would totally saturate that bus. :smokin:

Comment

Working...
                              X