No announcement yet.

Windows XP Home Networking Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the help guys, but i think im just going to give up and install windows xp on my second system.

reality is an illusion, albeit, a very persistant one. -Albert Einstein

Comment

^ Not my post ^ :(

Comment

Mr. Tweak, you are from Chicago???? WTH?

Newbie Tweaker?

umm.... having a security issue?

hmmm....now you are not registered....Weird

Comment

that "mr. tweak" unregistered post was by me. I typed in my name and password in the post. I have no idea how that happened, but its kinda wierd.

Comment

Yeah it seems to be a problem when mainly logging in at the post reply page so if ppl who need to login can do it at the forum main page for the momment until we find what is causing this it will be a great help. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Nice Guide:thumb: ,
              The only problem i'm having with my network, is the average transfer speed from one computer to my own computer is JUST 5KB a second :eek:, but if I go one of the other 2 computers I can recieve any files at about 10-100 mb a second. I have a 10mb and 100mb hub, all cables are working correctly, all drivers are installed up to date, and i'm running Windows XP Pro, Can anyone PLEASE help me
              Robbo

Comment

Hubs generally drop to the lowest speed connection and there's plently of collision loss with them. If ya want to speed ya network up then get a 10/100 switch as this will cut the collision loss out and speed things up. ;)

Another thing to try is to uninstall TCP/IP and reinstall it again in case it has become corrupted. :)

Comment

Anyone ever used the file "hosts" in the

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc

It's a way of maping the IP address to host names and could make networking a bit easier.

It was suggested that I use this file when I was having problems with my wireless network. I can find a networked computer by IP address but not by it's MSHOME name....

I finally got things to work just by mapping things to the internal network ip... 192.168.xxx.xxx but I'm having a bit of a problem with the third computer I set up. The problem only started after I faxed some stuff from the third computer...

It sees the network and all the shares and works just fine, for about 10 minutes, then it just drops it's connection....when I select to connect to the network it connects fine (and quickly). But again drops the connection in a matter of minutes.

I'm wondering if by defining the IP addresses and computer names in this file if it will help with the problem.

My Set up.

Win XP Pro Pentium III with USB wireless adapter
                  Win XP Pro Athlon with USB wireless adapter
                  Win ME Pentium III with USB wireless adapter.

Cable Modem ----->4 port cable/dsl/printer router--->RG 1000 wireless Hub with Cable Modem Connection. DHCP is enabled

Able to ping all computers, net view all shares, share files and printers..

It's just the third XP Pro Athlon drops it's connection.

Comment

Wow..

Using the host file really worked...

Network is up and stable now between all three comps. The names resolve and I don't drop connection.

Comment

Sorry Wiggo, that didn't help, even with a crossover cable, I can only receive files at 5kb a second, while I can on my other computer still transfer files at a minimum of 3mb/ sec , any other ideas?
                      Thanks
                      Robbo

Comment

Check the properties to the nic as it maybe set to half duplex instead of full duplex. ;)

Comment

please help i have been at this for ages my network transfers ok one way but about half or less the other way i watched the network bandwidth graph in task manager and it bearly uses 20% but about 80% the other way

setup :-

netgear DG814 10/100 adsl switch

windows XP / 3com 10/100 (server)<- ( likes to be called server she isnt ) mum

windows XP / 3com 10/100 <- me

windows XP / 3com 10/100 <-sis ( but she receives hundreds of CRC errors in 100 )

all full duplex mum is 100 me is 100 sis 10 but hers transfers fine for speed all up-to-date drivers (mine and my mums cards are identical

3com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Managment NIC (3C905C-TX)

my sis is a

3com EtherLink 10/100 PCI NIC (3C905B-TX)

all networks pings are less than 1ms by using ping 192.168.0.x

the slow transfer is from me to my mum

i will be very great full for ne help

Comment

This may be a rehash of some of the stuff that is being posted on the thread. I have a host machine tha is WIN XP pro and a machine that is WIN 98 SE. I am trying to get the 98 Machine to access the internet thru the XP machine. The two machines will talk to each other thru the LAN hub but the 98 comp will not try and get online. Any thoughts on this will help out as this is one of my 1st attempts to do a ICS.

Comment

I got simmilar setup XP pro as the main comp. connected to internet, i got 98 and another XP connected and surfin, and printin and sharin, oh my!
                              NE way. I got the main one as 192.167.0.1, so you got to use that as your gateway, also making sure that you use the same subnet mask for all and that your ip is not set to 0 or 255, as those are Special. Also making sure that the workgroup names are the same.

It works for me, as it should.

Comment

ok heres the rest of the setup :-

ADSL router 10/100 DG814 / 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

me / 192.168.0.3 / 255.255.255.0

mum / 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0

sis / 192.168.0.4 / 255.255.255.0

all comp set by me in TCP/IP properties

all comps in same workgroup MSHOME

its the speed proplem AND what is annoying me is that if i set my sis to 100 she get 100's of CRC errors and frame alignment errors :cry: if ne of u smart people have ne tips or advice im glad to listen becuase i want a 100% full speed @ 100mpbs network

Comment

Working...
                                X