No announcement yet.

Windows XP Home Networking Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i had to put the ip address of the computers on the network in the trused ip's for mine to work, i've got Norton Personal Firewall BTW
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Ok here's my situation. I've got a cable modem run to a SMC wireless barricade run to a nice hand-me-down 3Com 24-port 10/100 switch. 3 computers plugged in to the switch currently, nobody being wireless yet (one thing at a time).

Laptop running 98se, desktop running 98se, desktop running XP Home. All 3 can see the internet fine, all 3 optaining IPs via DHCP from the router no problem. Drives shared on all 3 PCs as full access. All in same workgroup. XP machine can see the other 2 in the "list others in workgroup" function, but I get "Access denied" errors when attempting to open them. Both 98 machines see each other, can map to each other, all as it should be. 98 machines can't see the XP box. Seems like a permissions problem somewhere, somehow with the XP side, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Can anyone shed some light?

Comment

Try this:

on the XP machine, Run gpedit.msc...

Should get the screen down below...

Two setting you will want to change.. The top one (Access this computer from the network...) and the one i've got selected.. In the top one, add the Guest account to the list, and remove it from other one (deny access...)

Then see if you can access a share...

Another thing to try, even though it's really crap, is to try the NetBIOS protocol.. though it sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          Yes Cat6 has the possability there to be very fast, but that's if better standards than the present PCI one come in as that would totally saturate that bus. :smokin:

CAT6 is now specified for 1Gbps (125MB/sec), which will almost completely choke the 32-bit PCI bus (maximum bandwidth 133MB/sec). The problem is that all but the fastest SCSI RAID arrays are incapable of writing data at 125MB/sec, so the utilisation will be well down on CAT6's potential.

And CAT6 is almost finalised in standard (up to Draft 13 I think? :?: ) so it will be here very soon - already some businesses where I live are rolling out CAT6 installations to remain futureproof :)
          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Hello guys, I am confused....I had a network with 2 pc's but I had to order another Ip address from my ISP to make it work using a Linksys 4 port Switch/router....(sold the second pc and cancled it)

The way mentioned in the Guide says you can change them to anything I like?

Let say I got my pc with cable connection... and in the guide it would be called "Server". Do I leave the Server pc's IP alone since it needs it to connect to the web and make up one for the Client?

What I want to be able to do is share files, printers and Internet from my main pc.

The second pc is just p133 that I use to run 98 for some of my projects that dont run well with XP

XP pro on the main box and 98se on the second box

Comment

From my limited knowledge on this, if you are using a switch / router, then the IP address you obtained from your ISP should have gone to the router port which connects you to the outside world. The other side of the router should have an address in the same subnet as the rest of your network. You then set the router's internal address as the default gateway on the two machines, so they can access the internet.

Hope that makes sense, and I hope I'm not leading you astray here.. if I'm wrong, someone else should be able to tell you...

Comment

I just setup my first network and i cant get my second computer to connect to the online servers for quake 3 or starcraft through the gateway computer. I also cant make a direct conection with AIM.

The gateway is running XP pro and the second one is running 98. To get the second one to connect to the internet I used a proxy program (from analogX). I'm prettty sure all of the settings are correct, and im not having any other problems. Any help would be appreciated.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
                - Henny Youngman

:cheers:

T-Bird 1400 @1551(fsb 141)
                256MB DDR 2700
                GeForce2 Ti 64MB (O/C'ed)
                40GB 7200rpm HD

Comment

Originally posted by BC
                  Ok here's my situation. I've got a cable modem run to a SMC wireless barricade run to a nice hand-me-down 3Com 24-port 10/100 switch. 3 computers plugged in to the switch currently, nobody being wireless yet (one thing at a time).

Laptop running 98se, desktop running 98se, desktop running XP Home. All 3 can see the internet fine, all 3 optaining IPs via DHCP from the router no problem. Drives shared on all 3 PCs as full access. All in same workgroup. XP machine can see the other 2 in the "list others in workgroup" function, but I get "Access denied" errors when attempting to open them. Both 98 machines see each other, can map to each other, all as it should be. 98 machines can't see the XP box. Seems like a permissions problem somewhere, somehow with the XP side, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Can anyone shed some light?
                  i have been told repeatedly by retailers that the HOME version of XP is NOT NETWORKABLE - hence such problems occur ^^

correct me if i'm wrong please, so i can inform the networks that they only need XP Home not Pro

Comment

XP Home can be networked but has very limited capabilities so if ya networking XP Pro is the way to go. :smokin:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Windows XP Home supports peer-to-peer networking but not domain based stuff :(
                      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

hi.
                        this post will be my third time posting on a message board. my previous posts (both on this thread) have gone unanswered and i dont know why. if im doing something wrong would someone please let me know. :confused: :( :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                          troubled mind[/size]]
                          hi.
                          this post will be my third time posting on a message board. my previous posts (both on this thread) have gone unanswered and i dont know why. if im doing something wrong would someone please let me know. :confused: :( :confused:
                          I'm sorry about the lack of responce ya getting but I just use M$'s ICS and have no probs with the other computer connecting but I'll see if I can get someone knowledgable on the subject to help ya. :smokin:
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

ok troubled Mind,

My first question is why are u using a proxy program, because u might just be better off using ICS

I used to use wingate, it was a pain in the arse to setup (its not as bad as it used to be) but when it was working it worked really well (alot better than ICS)

does the program you are using have any firewall technolgy in it? because it might be blocking you.

I've also seen some proggies that only share HTML/FTP but don't allow you to run other protocols such as what is required to play a game online.

have u got a link to the website where the proggy is from (i'm being lazy and can't bothered to search for it)
                            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

thx kheldar,

the proxy comes from AnalogX: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

i really dont know much about networking and just used this proxy 'cause it was the first thing i tried that worked at all. it lists what protocols it supports but i dont know which ones i need for gaming. what do u use to connect your network to the internet?

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
                              - Humphrey Bogart.

Comment

Originally posted by skullshot

i have been told repeatedly by retailers that the HOME version of XP is NOT NETWORKABLE - hence such problems occur ^^

correct me if i'm wrong please, so i can inform the networks that they only need XP Home not Pro
                                You're wrong there bud. I'm sharing internet, files, print and everything with XP home...

Comment

Working...
                                X