Windows XP Home Networking Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiggo
    Yes Cat6 has the possability there to be very fast, but that's if better standards than the present PCI one come in as that would totally saturate that bus. :smokin:
    its called 64bit PCI wiggo ;) :p
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Even at the speeds their talkin' that may become saturated to it's the new AMD and Intel buses that are needed to handle that sort of bandwidth. :smokin:

Comment

fine tehn.... 128 bit PCI :p :devil win
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Comment

The first time I set up a network using WinXP I used the Network Setup Wizard and it caused all manner of chaos, apart from the fact that it didn't work. I went through the Wizard over an over again on all XP Computers and I could not get two XP computers talking to each other. I did the same on two different XP networks with no luck.

So next time, I did it ALL by hand and left the Network Setup Wizard alone - This time it all worked fine and there has been no looking back since.

I'm not a professional but I do know what I am doing as the processes described in the article are the ones I follow normally.

Also, perhaps you should have mentioned in the tutorial that by not assigning static IP addresses, the computers will all negotiate their IP addresses, slowing things down. Typically, in my network, I experienced access delays of 2 minutes before computers could be accessed if not using static IP addresses.

Comment

DHCP would have fixed this but I'm not all that familair with it myself.

Sorry people for not replying to your messages, I've had computer problems...

Comment

/DHCP would have fixed this but I'm not all that familair with it myself./

?

?

?

DHCP is enabled by default for TCP/IP network on XP Pro(Havn't used home)

Comment

Here's my situation.....My roommate and I both have computers and are hooked up to Roadrunner cable internet....Originally I tried to network our computers and share internet connection....But I couldn;t get it for some reason....At the time I had WIN98SE and so did he.... I ended up hooking the cable modem into a router, and the router into a switch...and the computers are both in the switch....(it;s a 2 port (1 in, 1 out) router and a 5 port switch...noth linksys)

So thats how we shared internet, but we do not have a network.....I want a network though.....

I am currently running Windows XP Prof. but my friend still has 98SE (many of his programs are not compatable with XP).
                  I have a Dual PIII 1000MHz CPU, 512mb Ram, geforce 3 Ti 500 (soon to be Geforce 4 4600 !!!!), and major cooling :)...as well as many case mods......

anyway, I want to know if I can network these computers easily with the hardware I currently have, and how I would do that....If there's a quick way to explain the whole thing that would be great....I am very up to date on all computer language (its what I'm going to school for) so that may save explaining time, given I know what I'm doing......It's just I haven't done any networking yet and don't know exactly what I'm doing :)......Thanks, Josh

Comment

hi. liked the article, very thorough.

I just setup my first network and i cant get my second computer to connect to quake 3 online through the gateway computer.
                    the gateway is running XP and the second one is running 98. To get the second one to connect to the internet I used a proxy program (from analogX). I'm prettty sure all of the settings are correct, and im not having any other problems. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      DHCP is enabled by default for TCP/IP network on XP Pro(Havn't used home)
                      DHCP is enabled, but to make proper use of DHCP, you need a DHCP server, which computers without static IP addresses look for when they boot up. If a server is available, the computer will be given an IP address from the server. If there is no server, and there is no static address, then Windows will allocate a default IP address to the network connection. This used to be something along the lines of 168.?.?.? (from memory, could be wrong).

So yes, WinXP does have DHCP support, but it's not much good with a DHCP server on the same network.

Comment

Originally posted by jjzimm
                        Here's my situation.....My roommate and I both have computers and are hooked up to Roadrunner cable internet....Originally I tried to network our computers and share internet connection....But I couldn;t get it for some reason....At the time I had WIN98SE and so did he.... I ended up hooking the cable modem into a router, and the router into a switch...and the computers are both in the switch....(it;s a 2 port (1 in, 1 out) router and a 5 port switch...noth linksys)

So thats how we shared internet, but we do not have a network.....I want a network though.....

anyway, I want to know if I can network these computers easily with the hardware I currently have, and how I would do that....If there's a quick way to explain the whole thing that would be great....I am very up to date on all computer language (its what I'm going to school for) so that may save explaining time, given I know what I'm doing......It's just I haven't done any networking yet and don't know exactly what I'm doing :)......Thanks, Josh
                        Ummm.. If you have two computers hooked up via a switch and they can both access the Internet, then you HAVE a network already dude.. :)

I'm not quite sure what your idea of a network is, but you've got one set up already.

Comment

no, we can't share files or even see each others computer....we have the ip split with this setup....I've messed around with sharing settings too and still dont get anything...

Comment

you have the IP split? well, your computer language has got me there.. I got no idea what you are on about...

If you have a look at the IP addresses on the two computers and the router, they should all start off with the three same numbers... ie: 192.168.0.?? (could be different... not important at the moment).. One way to test the two computers is to 'ping' the other. This can be done by going to a DOS command prompt (Run - command in 98, Run - cmd in XP) and then typing 'ping ???.???.???.???', where the question marks represent the IP address of the PC you want to ping. Example:

Computer 1 IP: 192.168.0.2
                            Computer 2 IP: 192.168.0.3

On computer 1, type 'ping 192.168.0.3'... you'll either get a result showing on screen, or it will say 'Request timed out'... Chances are you'll get a result though...

All that going well, you should be set for the next part. With the two computers, if you go into the network settings, you should be able to activate File and Printer Sharing. It also helps if both computers are part of the same workgroup, but it's not necessary.

After you activate F&P sharing, share a folder on your computer by right clicking, and going to the sharing option.. Then, from the other computer, see if you can access it via Network Neighbourhood / My Network Places...

Hope that all made sense...

Comment

my question is this:-
                              as the built in XP firewall is so crap how do i go about getting ICS to work with a real firewall program, Ie Sygate Personal Firewall.
                              whenever i have sygate runing i cannot get the 2nd machine to access the internet at all and i have tried all the settings i can find but nothing works, there MUST be a way to do it surely???
                              file sharing via TCP/IP works ok still but anything other than that falls over, ie Morpheus, NAV antivirus update, web browsing etc.

any ideas???
                              thanks

edit:
                              oh yeah, anyone that can help me , please feel free to email me... :-)

Comment

Don't really know much about firewalls, but try this:

Disable the firewall and set up the connection.. Make sure you can get through BEFORE the firewall is set up.. No point trying if you can't connect properly to begin with.

Then, within the firewall somewhere, there should be places where you can set restrictions and also set trusted IP addresses or something to allow the traffic to flow..

Comment

Working...
                                X