Help with crack . . . ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with crack . . . ?

I just replaced the heatsink on my AMDXP2400 and now my pc won't start! There is power getting to the

MOBO, as a power LED is lit, and the fans start up, but beyond that, no BIOS screen, no bleeps, no HD activity . . . nothing :(

I'm worried that I may have cracked the CPU core, although there is no obvious physical sign of this. Are there anyways to check this, other that sourcing another CPU and trying it in the same setup ? Would these be the symptoms of CPU damage? Could it be anything else?

It was a fairly standard install, replacing the factory heatsink and fan with a Thermailright SLK800

and Panaflo 80mm fan; I was extremely careful, never having done this before(!), cleaning mating surfaces before applying thermal paste, using a copper shim, being VERY careful when clipping down the HS . . . I didn't use the rubber pads provided by Thermalright, as the shim I was using only had cutouts for the standard cpu pads, and I thought the shim would do a similar job (protecting the core)

I have tried:
    Unplugging and replugging all wires and jumpers from the motherboard
    Starting the pc with the graphics cards deliberately not plugged in to get any kind of response from the motherboard
    Restarting with the older fan to check it wasn't the fact the panaflo has no rpm feedback
    Examined the CPU for any signs of damage . . .

Any help/suggestions would be seriously appreciated . . .
    Cheers,
    Vim

SETUP:
    AMD XP 2400+ CPU
    Asus A7N8X MOBO
    2xCorsair 400mhz 512mb DDR
    40gb Seagate Barracude IV
    Matrox G550
    Echo-audio Mia PCI Soundcard
    Samsung SM-332 Combo
    Standard Floppy Drive
    PLUS660AMG

do you have another CPU that is compatible w/ the mobo with the craked cpu core?? if so try switching that to see if you actually screwed it

Comment

don't have access to another compatible cpu to try in it's place . . . is there any other way of checking ?

Comment

i wouldn't know then, srry

Comment

The fan should probably be plugged into a molex connector, not powered by the mobo. If you do this, you need to have a speed sensor connector connected to the mobo cpu fan header. If the mobo does not detect cpu fan rpm, it will not boot. How is yours set up?

Comment

hey bigjack, could you explain all the different types of power cords (i hope u know what i mean, i guess to make it mroe clear like molex and stuff)

Comment

thanks for the quick responses guys . . .

bigjack - the default config with the out of the box HSF was to plugin the directly to the mobo cpu fan header. After replacing the heatsink and fan, the new 2 pin fan connector was going to a Zalman Fan Controller, which in turn connected to two pins of the 3 pin mobo cpu fan header . . . however, the system still didn't start when I (briefly) attached the stock standard AMD 3 pin fan to the MOBO with the new heatsink. (so the mobo would have sensed a fan . . .) . . .

Comment

wanna post a picture ( i just like to look at things) and i reply quick cuz what is there better to do when your grounded, homework?

Comment

It's pretty hard to crack the die on the athlon's, however it is pretty easy to Chip them. I have a couple CPU's that this has happened to with different errors occuring from both. U may wanna take you cpu out and look closely at the edges of the die to see if there is any chipping on it.

Comment

try this, unplug the power cord, unlug the mobo battery, jumper the cmos 1,2 pins to 2,3 pins for 5 seconds, press the power button for 5 seconds, have 2 beers (1 hour or more) and retry it again. important: do not use the new fan, use the old hsf. make sure you are grounded when touching the components.

Comment

[b]I didn't use the rubber pads provided by Thermalright, as the shim I was using only had cutouts for the standard cpu pads, and I thought the shim would do a similar job (protecting the core)
                      Those rubber pads are there for a reason and a shim will not do their job. It's likely that the heatsink is not sitting flush on the core.
                      [b]... was to plugin the directly to the mobo cpu fan header.
                      This will drop the available voltage for the mobo and likely cause damage/instability to the mobo itself and the headers should only be used to monitor fans, not power them.

Comment

Working...
                      X