Houston, we have a problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, we have a problem...

I am putting together a couple new office computers, here is the component rundown:

ASUS A7B266-VM
    XP2000+
    400WATT Codegen PSU
    Maxtor 40GB 7200rmp
    512MB generic PC2100
    cd writer

That's it! Now, here is what happens - push power and it first will start to go through the normal startup and then hang after listing all the drives and info. Then if you hit ALT+CTRL+DEL it starts to go, sits on "PNP Init Complete" for about 15 seconds, the says

"Hardware Monitor found error. Enter power setup menu for details.

F1 to continue, del to enter setup."

Now - if I just continue it hangs. Once I did continue and it started loading windows, but I quit the setup because I wasn't ready for it yet, just testing. It has only gone that far once though.

If I got into setup and go to the hardware monitor it hangs as soon as I select the hardware monitor. All other BIOS settings are correct.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

: peace2:
    <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
    Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
    2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
    80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
    </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
    Blaster Live!<br>
    Volcano 7+<br>
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
    19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
    </p></td></tr></table>

Firstly, does the mobo have the latest BIOS version (the early BIOS version only supported up to XP1900+)? Next is, have ya cleared the CMOS and tried to set "Safe Defaults" (or whatever called)? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

mmm... no and no

I should update the bios, then?

I suppose I'll have to put a floppy in it.

I'll try that tonight and let you know where it goes from there.

Thanks Wiggo :thumb:

: peace2:
      <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
      Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
      </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
      Blaster Live!<br>
      Volcano 7+<br>
      </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

I fired up the other (identical) computer that I am building and it went through and installed the OS without a hitch. I am going to start swapping parts to see which one the problem PC is struggling with. Any suggestions on what to start with?

Thanks!
        Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
        Blaster Live!<br>
        Volcano 7+<br>
        </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Update the BIOS. The two boards may still have different revisions of the BIOS as that happens from time to time when Asus updates their products for you.

Comment

The PC that isn't working is the one with the latest BIOS. The one that is working fine has version 1004.
            Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
            Blaster Live!<br>
            Volcano 7+<br>
            </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Well I'd format the drive again (in case it was just a flawed install) then before reinstalling it go thru the whole BIOS again then if this happens again see if ya can disable hardware monitorin' in BIOS and if it works then I'd take the board back as faulty. ;)

I take it that ya swapped other components? :?:

Also go to the HDD's manufacturer's website and d/l their diagnostic software also incase the prob lays there.
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I am putting 3 systems together with this A7N266-VM motherboard. Two of them are identical and one is slightly different. All three of them at one time or another are getting this hardware monitor problem. All three of them now boot into windows and run flawlessly (so far :?: ) From what the manual says it looks like the hardware monitor might be seeing one of the readings out of range. It monitors CPU and MOBO temps along with vcore voltages. The problem is, when it tells me there is a problem and to go into the hardware monitor, the system hangs, so I can't find out which of these values are causing the problem. :eek:

So, I booted the system after it has been sitting. Went into the hardware monitor and left it there to at least heat up as much as it can while idle. Here is the odd part - the cpu temp hoovers at about 30C but the MOBO temp is at 51C! That isn't right at all.... how could the MOBO be so hot and the CPU is nice and cool??? Could this be just a bad sensor or what? Any idea?

Thanks for the input.

oh - wiggo, the problem before was from the HDD not being formatted properly. I put it as a slave on another system and XP didn't even see it, but I went into Partition Magic and it was there as unpartitioned space. I NTFS'ed it and no problems after that. Thanks for the suggestion!

:thumb:
                Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                Blaster Live!<br>
                Volcano 7+<br>
                </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Can you disable Hardware Monitor? as it seems like keeping it is going to be a world of trouble.

Comment

I couldn't see any way to. It seems to be stable even when the hardware monitor comes up with an error, so it seems to be mostly cosmetic.... so oh well...

:hammer:
                    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
                    Blaster Live!<br>
                    Volcano 7+<br>
                    </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Working...
                    X