SIMM issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIMM issues

I am trying to upgrade my friends system. its a old 200MHz machine. It has 4 SIMM slots. I got 4 16MB sticks. When i put them in, it only recognizes 32MB, when i only put in a pair it recognizes 32MB, regardles of which pair or which bank. they are matching pairs. they are all 60ns.Any ideas on whats wrong?
    Also this mobo has 2 dimm slots and i put in 2 64mb dimms, it still recognizes 32 MB! Same with a 128MB dimm.

this mobo is suposed to be upgradable to 128MB

Knowing the name and model of the mobo would be a start but does this board have onboard video? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

OK, I finally got a hold of my friend.
      Its a GCT 8IV. I tried looking on the web for the manf. site, but it seems they are no longer in bussiness. :cry:
      ALso this mobo doesnt have onboard video.
      another thing someone suggested is to check that the dimms that i am using are pc66 rather than pc100 which may not be supported by the bios in this system, so im off looking for memory tester tommorow.
      any other ideas/suggestions?

Comment

That would be my guess. Even though pc133 and pc100 are backward compatable with pc66, I've seen older mobos that get confused when they don't support reading the SPD on the newer ram sticks.

Comment

noone seems to have a damn memory tester.
          so is there any way of testing the memory w/o meomory tester?

Comment

If you just want to test the quality of the memory you can use DocMemory which can be found on the http://www.simmtester.com/ web-site. download it and run the exe and it creates a boot disk which you then just boot from and the rest is pretty simple. The test can take around 15 mins depending on the speed of your PC and amount and type of memory.

;)

Comment

Are these memory sticks all double sided? :?:

Comment

i found the problem. The one of the simm sockets seems to be working only sometime, due to what looks like lack of contact. when i push on the simm it works. :(
                so now i'm running one bank in simms and the other in dimm.
                the dimm im using is 128 but recognized as 32. suck, but works. I think i am going to try to convince him to upgrade his system.
                thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
                X