Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pc is booting, windows launches but no display.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc is booting, windows launches but no display.

Since yesterday morning my pc isn't displaying anything on the monitor but I hear the Windows booting through the speakers.
    Here are the things that I've done to try and identify the problem since it happened to no avail, I'm at the end of my wits now :

-Plugged the display to another DVI port on the Graphic card
    -Plugged the graphic card to another DVI port on the display
    -Plugged the display on the display port on the Graphic card
    -Plugged the display on the motherboard DVI
    -Plugged the display on the motherboard VGA
    -Tried all those steps with another display which is known to be working.
    -Unplugged the Graphic card and retried with the motherboard's GPU.

All the fans on the case and on the CPU and GPU are running as normal.

Config:
    Motherboard :Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Proc :Intel Core i7 3770k
    GPU:Asus GTX 670 DirectCu II TOP
    Memory:Gskill RipjawsX 2x8Go PC12800
    PSU:Seasonic X760 Gold
    HD: Seagate Barracuda 1To S-ATA III 64 Mo
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
    Monitor : Dell 2407WFP

There are also three other internal hardrives, western digital and Seagate from 500Gb to 2to, can't remember the exact models. Some months ago the case fan controller died so I plugged all the case fans directly on the PSU besides that this pc has been running for a year without any problems.

Re: Pc is booting, windows launches but no display.

Try clearing the CMOS/BIOS. Remove the video card first, and then clear the CMOS/BIOS. If you have any special settings you need in the BIOS, like SATA set to RAID, be careful to reset those before you allow the PC to boot. When you clear the BIOS you should be prompted to go into the BIOS or press a key to use default settings. The video setting should default to the onboard video if the video card is removed and the BIOS is cleared.

Nothing was changed on the PC before this happened? Do you have Windows update set to automatically apply updates? If so, a bad driver might have been installed.

Comment

I did what you just said. The graphic Card is still displyaing nothing but now I get a picture from the onboard gpu on the mobo. Guess clearing the CMOS did the trick.
      That said it looks like my graphic card is dead...
      I trid to put it in another PCIe slot and still nothing.

Comment

Well at least you've got that PC useable again. You should try that video card in another PC if possible. Or try a different cable from the PSU, your Seasonic is modular, correct?

I've had terrible luck (??) with GTX 660 video cards, two of them broken in two weeks! The drivers are crashing the PC, during their installation... or black screen on a reboot... I wonder if you have a similar problem? Did you do a video driver update lately?

Then I did a fresh Windows installation with the on-CPU graphics, install basic system drivers, then try the '660 again with no driver installed. The display is all garbled, just a mess. I'm giving up on these '660 cards, I have a GTX 650 that has worked perfectly from the start, even with a VBIOS update.

Comment

Working...
        X