Do I need a new power supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a new power supply?

Hey guys. I have a quick question: do I need a new power supply? I've got a 320 Watt and thought that would be enough.

I installed the Asus Probe that came with the A7V333, and it gives me an alarm that the 12V voltage fluctuates up to 13.4 or so every now and then. What exactly does this mean and do I need a new power supply that has more wattage? (My system specs are below)

Should I ever use Asus Probe?

(sorry if this post doesn't exactly fit this forum)

Thanks!

-Tim

Athlon XP1800
    Asus A7V333
    Volcano 7+ HSF
    512 2700 DDR
    Geforce 2 mx400
    Sony 20x12x40 cdr drive
    Sony 16x dvd
    Seagate 60MB 7200rpm
    IBM 60MB 7200rpm

If its a new PSU then 320W is good enough. There could always be the possibility of a defective PSU. I doubt that as well...
    - Damien

Comment

ASUS probe is more likely to be defective. The better the power supply, the more likely it is to deliver consistent voltages.

Comment

great--thanks guys!

I thought I might have connected one too many fans or something. This PSU is a little over a year old, this fluctuation started happening when I put in a new mobo, new cpu, the volcano 7+, and couple more fans, so I thought maybe that had something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks again.

Comment

Let us know if you have any more problems with it.

Comment

Just today I was over at www.newegg.com reading some people's feedback about the A7V333. If you look at the non-RAID version and click on reviews, you will see the same comments I did (but there are three listings for that board and you may need to look at all three).

Apparently a guy called up ASUS support and was told that board would need a minimum 350W power supply! Also, there were some complaints about bugs in the monitoring software that always made the 12-volt line look like 13 volts even though it is fine.

:p

Comment

Yes ASUS monitoring has been known for a long time now to be very shoddy. :(
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I had used the asus probe with my A7A266 and it had reported similar findings. Asus had put out several updates, which may or may not resolve your problem. If not, I would take faith in your power supply, which is sure to supply enough power, unless you have like 5 hard drives, and 6 cd-roms (I am exaggerating, but you get the idea.)

Comment

How the hell could a support guy from Asus claim to know what your power requirements are going to be? That guy needs a little more training. Besides, the quality of the psu is at least as important as the power rating. There are 300w units that will reliably power more stuff than some El Cheapo 400w ones will.

Comment

Working...
                  X