Memory and AGP problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory and AGP problems

I recently bought some kit for the PC and am having some problems. I have 256mb PC100 ram in 2 dimms on a Gigabyte GA71XE4 motherboard. I bought a third stick of 128mb PC133 to run alongside. Not only will it not work with the other two, but it the computer hangs on checking NVRAM with it on its own. I know the motherboard is PC100 compatible, but I thought PC133 was backward compatible.

The second issue is with the GeForce 3 Ti200 I have. The m/b is AGP 2x ready, but the 3DMark2001SE software says only 1x is enabled. the graphics card works fine, but I'm wondering if I'm losing out here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Yo,,,
    In reply to your question for help about your ram issue.. PC 133 ram is backwards compatible on a pc 100 board. But all of your ram is on the same bus.. and the ram will want to work as hard as it possibly can, therefore you cant have your 2 sticks of 100mhz ram running on the same bus as the 133.. there is your problem.. i would ditch the 100 mhz ram and load up your box on the 133 for the extra kick.
    lata
    :smokin:

Comment

did you check your bios settings.. there should be something in there that will let you choose the agp speed or let it go automatically, it might be right there.

Comment

Originally posted by bobshop
        I recently bought some kit for the PC and am having some problems. I have 256mb PC100 ram in 2 dimms on a Gigabyte GA71XE4 motherboard. I bought a third stick of 128mb PC133 to run alongside. Not only will it not work with the other two, but it the computer hangs on checking NVRAM with it on its own. I know the motherboard is PC100 compatible, but I thought PC133 was backward compatible.

The second issue is with the GeForce 3 Ti200 I have. The m/b is AGP 2x ready, but the 3DMark2001SE software says only 1x is enabled. the graphics card works fine, but I'm wondering if I'm losing out here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
        I'm not familiar with that motherboard - but some motherboards have limitations when you populate all the dimm slots - In some cases the third (and/or fourth) dimm must be single sided when slots 1 and 2 are used etc.
        If it's an i815 board it will only support 512MB max.

Comment

Ah that's an AMD 750 chipset board and there is an AGP issue with it but I'll see if I can find the fix for it if someone else doesn't beat me to it. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks very much everyone. I understand about the ram now. I'll sort something out there. I checked the AGP bios settings and there are no options for that. There are no bios updates available for my board. If you could help me with the graphics that would keep me happy. I got 4636 on 3DMark 2001SE, which seems reasonable, but we're always after something more.

Cheers,

Bob

Comment

Found it, on this page, http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/geforce/4.shtml , is the "EnableIrongate2x" registry fix (Irongate was the code name for the AMD 750 chipset). Hope that helps ya out. Infact the whole article is helpful. ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for the tip Wiggo. I tried the fix, and restarted but according to 3DMark we are still in 1x mode. the other thing i found is that the Mark also says that the ram frequency in the dimm slots is 66MHz. I know I have PC100 ram in a PC100 Athlon board, so maybe the software is getting wrong information. If that is so, maybe the AGP is running 2x.

One more thing, i believe with my Gigabyte GA71XE4 board i can stick a 1.2 Athlon in there. Will it make a difference over a 1GHz, given the PC100 ram etc.

This thread is my first post and i have been amazed by the help I have received. I am just getting into the tweaking business and I am a prospective pilot who uses Flight Sim 2002. Hence the need for a lot of power. Maybe I should just build my own PC.

Cheers,

Bob

Comment

Finally got it. I sorted it courtesy of a free download called NVMax, used for all GeForce cards. It allows almost every adjustment and allows the user to specify the AGP bus speed. It also has a check box for AMD AGP 2x which addresses the issue Wiggo mentioned. I think we can finally put this to bed.

Thanks for everything,

Bob

Comment

Good luck on your flight training. How do you find the flight simulator for realty compared to actually flying. I am a private pilot with single & multi engine land ratings & have never tried one of the flight simulators.

Comment

Hey,

I find that Microsoft Flight Sim 2002 is the best one by far. It is the first edition that is really flyable. There is a working ATC for VFR and IFR flight and you can get approach charts as well to do some proper IFR flights. It is no way near the real thing, but at age 17 i don't have the means to put in some real time right now. But when I'm a pilot it will all be cool.

Thanks

Comment

Good luck with your ambitions. :thumb:

Comment

bobshop What differrent aircraft does 2002 simulate?

Comment

Working...
                          X