• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A failure to power up?

When I dream,
    I carry a sword in one hand,
    a gun in the other...

Re: A failure to power up?

What spyware and Antivurus scanners do you use? When you are looking at the taskmanager and see 100% CPU usage what Process is doing it?

Comment

I don't recall any one process being to blame.

At the time I was using CA Internet Security Plus. (Firewall/Anti-Virus/Spyware.)

Since I can't get it to power up, I can't be sure. I remember checking to see which process in the task manger tab was eating up all the CPU and found none of them to be using any large values. I do remember 'System Idle' being 99 one time I checked while the CPU usage was stuck at 100%, but I'm pretty sure that process should be freeing up the CPU usage instead of taking it away.
      Last edited by SpellSword; 11-01-2008, 01:53 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo.
      When I dream,
      a gun in the other...

Comment

Hmm... About the "pegged at 100%," my old laptop had that problem. It was unusable until a reformat.

Comment

Yeah, since you cannot start windows have you since tried a clean install?

Or if it wont start at all to even get you in the BIOS have you tried new ram or clearing the CMOS fully

Comment

No power, doesn't even start to boot.

@Lsdmeasap@Aguiluz
            When I dream,
            a gun in the other...

Comment

Ya, try that other ram. And no, no need to enter the BIOS to clear the CMOS, here is a how to in post #2 >>>

You can also remove the battery in addition to that method and press in the case power switch for a minute while you are waiting the 20-30 minutes as well to drain any remaining power

Comment

Clear the Cmos/Bios on the motherboard, CLR-CMOS either a quick short between two pins or removing a jumper. takes about 2sec remember power off first. You could just takeout and replace the little silver battery

Comment

Working...
                X