Long Term OC Gone Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term OC Gone Bad?

I am having some issues with my rig currently and I do not have the parts to try and deduce what is wrong. I turn to you once again tweaktown for help....

My Rig: Asus P5wdg2ws pro, 4gb gskill, bfg 8800 gtx, tt toughpower 850w, e6600 @ 3.2ghz. I use zalman 9800 for cooling solution always running full speed. air flow is not an issue for my case. Bought all this about a year ago and it pretty much just stays on all day everyday since i remote into it for work typically.

Here is the problem...
    Ok, so if the computer is totally cooled down turned off and we turn it on we get this...it will boot up, and display the post on the screen. then it will show the windows ultimate loading splash screen and freeze. ok, so now i perform a reset....
    upon resetting, i no longer have any video. I will continue to not have video until i let the computer stay powered off for an extended period of time. I have let it sit there like this for awhile, and have achieved nothing. Cannot access bios, cannot see ANYTHING. totally blank.

so, after waiting a little while for it to chill back down....i tried again....
    this time, i booted up, and got video again like i expected. I entered the bios when i saw the post screen come up. successfully entered the bios, and went to go turn off overclocking. i have yet to make it to the oc section of my bios before it freezes. i have not successfully disabled the overclocking yet, as i only get 1 shot every hour or so. i have tried about 3 times now.

SOOOOOO, this is where I am at right now. I am pretty darn sure its either the processor or the gfx card....but you be the judge. Any troubleshooting ideas/tips welcome as I am not the best at this stuff.

Re: Long Term OC Gone Bad?

Sounds like a memory issue. In fact, most PC problems like this are memory related. Test each of your sticks and I bet you find a bad one.

PS: Use the clear CMOS jumper. Then you don't need to get into bios to set it to stock. Also, pull out all your memory except 1 stick and try it again.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
      Sounds like a memory issue. In fact, most PC problems like this are memory related. Test each of your sticks and I bet you find a bad one.

PS: Use the clear CMOS jumper. Then you don't need to get into bios to set it to stock. Also, pull out all your memory except 1 stick and try it again.

Right Said Fred

Comment

Really? Didn't know memory could affect video. I will try when I get home today...thx!

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeyMcPot View Post
          Really? Didn't know memory could affect video. I will try when I get home today...thx!

Yeap, the info/data to and from the GFX card must go thru the ram and CPU as well. Not in that order though, More like CPU > Ram > GFX and the reverse

Comment

All memory tested out fine on another system. Tried each individual stick in the original system to no avail. No longer am I getting the post screen either....at all.

I removed all the extras out of my computer as well. Only have the bare minimum to run.

Also, forgot to mention this...
            Before the computer became unbootbable, i was getting small little freezes randomly for about 2 secs while in windows. Dont know if that helps...

So what now? Should I head to walmart and buy the cheapest pci-e gfx card i can find to try out? or is it my processor...

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

edit- I have a friend with a PCI-E slotted mobo that I am going to throw the 8800gtx on. I am PRAYING that is the problem....because I bought BFG, which means lifetime warranty :)

if it is the processor.....thats not too bad, been wanting to upgrade to a quad-core yorky
            Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM. Reason: forgot something ><

Comment

It would be the GFX card or the ram. Just because the ram is ok on another board does not mean the settings you are using on your is ok. Please post your settings you are using and I will see if they are ok (image will do just fine if you like)

Comment

im using default ram timings and clocks. 800 @ 5-5-5-15

Comment

Well for 4GB of ram you will need to be sure (So manually not Auto or similar) set tRFC (Refresh to Act) to 52-62. Additional MCH voltage will also be needed for sure for 4GB, as well as manually setting the Ram's Voltage

Comment

I cannot access the bios, much less get anything to pop up on the monitor, so adjusting voltage is a little hard. I cleared the CMOS via the jumper, reseated all components, checked all wiring, even re-applied some new thermal paste to the processor(also wanted to check for warps in the heatsink). Still nothing.

Comment

Sounds like you need to RMA the board. How did you clear the CMOS, please explain fully as some may not fully or properly do it.

Comment

i used the cmos jumper to reset. yea its the board i think. i took my whole computer over to my friends house and i tested out all the components except the mobo and processor(just because they are such a pain to get out...and after 3 hours of messing with everything else I was done, lol). we used tech toolz to run mem tests, gfx card booted up on his machine fine with no errors.
                        couple questions though...this was my first raid experience so im a little new to working on comps w/ raid setups. i have a raid 0 setup, how is a mobo swap going to affect that? can i just buy the exact same board and swap it out no problems? can i upgrade to a newer board without ruining the raid? i am running vista 64 bit. thanks!

edit- also, do you have suggestions for boards to upgrade to(keep it around $300 max)? I like to game hardcore, use my comp as a media center for my tv, and i do lots of photoshop/3ds max work. i really need something reliable and fast fast fast.
                        Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

You can buy the Same board with no issues for sure, but a newer board will require a fresh install.

Often same Manufacturer and Chipset will also be fine, like if you wanted to switch from one model to another withing the same manu/chipset you would likely be fine. If anything windows may install a driver or two on reboot.

New chipset for sure = Clean Install. You may get told this is not necessary, which it sometimes is not but has it downfalls with errors and other issues later on. Always best to do a clean install for sure

Well when I asked about CMOS clear, that is what I wanted to know... Kinda.

That is a great way to do it, I unplug the PSU from the wall and put a Hard drive or optical jumper on the clear CMOS pins and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. Then remove the jumper and plug the PSU back in. Just shorting it for a few seconds/minutes does not work properly. That is why I asked, so if you haven't tried it like that please do

I suggest a P35 based Gigabyte board (DS4 or DQ6), or a X48 or one of the better Abit boards.

I say that because with the added tech included with P45 I have seen so many issues here lately, just may be best to wait on that

Comment

turns out i have a 3yr warranty with asus on mobo's so I will probably just do that.

-so the raid will not be affected by the change out?
                            -and do you think the 8800gtx may have fried the board?

thanks for all your help by the way.
                            Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Ahh well good luck in your RMA venture.

No the RAID will be fine for sure if you get the same board in return, Be sure to write down which disks you have plugged into what ports and then make sure they are plugged into the same on the new board

No Problem, anytime. That's why I am here, glad I could help even if it was only a little

Good Luck with everything!
                              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X