my monitor is broken for the second time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my monitor is broken for the second time

I don't understand this: I just used my computer a few hours ago and when I turned it on again, the monitor is f**cked up. This is the second time this happened and this 19" RIC monitor is a little over a year old. Is this what I get for paying less than $200 for a 19 incher?

When the computer is turned on and starts loading, the screen is squiggly and warped outward, like a fat-bellied man. Once it reaches the logon screen and shows the desktop, the squiggly is gone and the screen is a perfect rectangle again, but the extreme top and bottom portion of the screen are compressed. This becomes evident as you scroll text from top to bottom of the screen since the text gets larger when it reaches the center of the screen and gets smaller as it reaches the top or bottom of the screen.

I don't know if I should send it for repair again or just do it myself. If the shipping was free I would send it in, but for the price of shipping a 50lb monitor I would just as well get a new 17 inch monitor. I'll also have to wait until school is over.

Can anyone guide me to how to fix this, if it's as simple as replacing a resistor?

Originally posted by erwin1978
    When the computer is turned on and starts loading, the screen is squiggly and warped outward, like a fat-bellied man. Once it reaches the logon screen and shows the desktop, the squiggly is gone and the screen is a perfect rectangle again, but the extreme top and bottom portion of the screen are compressed. This becomes evident as you scroll text from top to bottom of the screen since the text gets larger when it reaches the center of the screen and gets smaller as it reaches the top or bottom of the screen.
    This part makes me think that it's the refresh rate that keeps causing your problems. What I would do is when it is messed up, hit whatever buttons on your monitor you need to get the refresh rate. Then see if it's outside the specs for your monitor. If it is, that would cause the problem, and could cause acutal hardware damage. Then find a way to limit the refresh rate.

Later

Comment

sounds horrible:eek:

Yes, start with the basics.
      Have you got the .inf for your specific monitor for the OS you are using. Check the manufacturers site for any updates.
      The refresh rate is correct?
      Have you tried a degaussing, can't hurt to give it a whirl after the other 2 are complete and satisfactory.

Best of luck to you erwin 1978
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Refresh rate is within parameters. Also, once Windows is fully loaded, I switch to 640x480 60Hz and the screen goes squiggly again. In all resolutions the screen compression is present, but only at 640x480 60Hz is the squiggly problem present.

I opened the monitor and of course I didn't know what to do but stare at the innards. I fooled around with the focus and brightness nobs but to no effect. I think the problem is with the relay. My monitor used to make clicking sounds when switching resolutions; it doesn't anymore.

Comment

I'm wondering if the OS or the video card could cause a monitor to break?

Comment

Only if your trying to force the monitor to display resolutions or refresh rates above those that the monitor is designed to handle. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Have you tried that monitor on another pc? Have you investigated your video card?

Comment

Done all of that. My video card is OEM and I wonder if it's the culprit.

Comment

What video card is it?
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Creative Geforce 256 DDR

Comment

Checked for any driver updates lately.
                      Maybe just a reinstall of drivers, could be Windows got a bit fuzzy on those files.

Comment

Is this what I get for paying less than 0 for a 19 incher?
                        I was able to get my Samsung Syncmaster 950p brand new for 248$ shipped to my door, but I have never heard of the brand RIC??

My monitor does 1600 X 1200 in all the glory of 32 bit, @ 75Hz

I don't buy brand I've never heard of / haven't researched.

Comment

Looks like Zeradul is taking yet another opportunity to brag about the deal he got on his Samsung 950p.

Just remember, I got mine cheaper! $230 Shipped punk!

I've seen this happen with other monitors and usually the condition only degrades if nothing is done, and usually the only thing that can be done is having it professionally serviced, which is more expensive than just buying a new monitor.

My best advice is to get on eBay and search for a new monitor.

Comment

c'mon pass on the info! Wherdya get it at?

Comment

Actually the manufacturer is Pixie.

I guess I should've done my research instead of buying on first site. It was just to good of a price to pass up on a 19 incher even though the monitors were on the floor of the store instead of on the shelves like the well-known brands were.

This monitor is also quirky; in the manual it doesn't say anything about 1152x864. It just jumps from 1024x768 to 1280x1024. When I asked Pixie about this all they told me was don't use that resolution.

This monitor would be great otherwise. The screen is still bright and sharp and big. I wish I was a monitor fixer.

Comment

Working...
                              X