• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you may have just licked the problem. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

We're keeping our fingers crossed for you wuntvor:thumb:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

thx for the fingers crossed, but it just locked up again
        :cry: :cry:

happend right after a cd burn failed

I switch the secondary IDE to use DMA now, hopefully that has some effect

Comment

thx for the help everyone
          I think I got it licked now - 2 days and counting, stable as a rock :D

for all

Comment

Good for you wuntvor - let us know how your system gets on ;)
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by wuntvor
              thx for the help everyone
              I think I got it licked now - 2 days and counting, stable as a rock :D

for all
              Yeah!! That's what we like to hear!
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                The 4-in-1 Driver from VIA is absolutely essential for reliable and trouble-free operation of your VIA chipset based motherboard. Here's the order you should install your operating system:

1) Remove ALL adapter cards except the video card
                2) Install the Operating System the usual way
                3) Install the VIA 4-in-1 Driver
                4) Install the video card driver
                5) Install the sound card, then the driver
                6) Install DirectX 8.1
                7) Install all other adapter cards, one at a time

Hope this helps :)
                In reference to THIS ^

there's a FAQ on the VIA site that says you should install the
                4in1 drivers BOTH BEFORE & AFTER installation of the SBLive

here 'tis

VIA FAQ :

Question:
                I am having trouble with a system using a VIA chipset including a 686b southbridge and a Creative Sound Blaster Live card.

Answer:
                When the 686b southbridge was first released, motherboard manufacturers and VIA discovered a problem when trying to transfer files between the primary and the secondary IDE channels on motherboards using ultra-DMA, when a Sound Blaster Live was plugged in and drivers activated. This issue was caused because too much noise is transferred across the PCI bus by the Sound Blaster Live driver set. In an attempt to fix this issue, some motherboard manufacturers modified their BIOS. In some instances, these modifications to the BIOS caused a data corruption error even when not using a Sound Blaster Live. VIA released a patch which resolves this issue, which is incoroporated in the 4in1 drivers from the 4.31 version onwards. Motherboard manufacturers were advised to change the modifications made to thier BIOS to elimate the data corruption issue. If you are experiencing data corruption or lock up when transferring files between two IDE drives:

1) Make sure you have the latest BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer.

2) Make sure you have the latest 4in1 drivers

3) Make sure when you set up your system that you install the 4in1 drivers both before and after you install the SBL to make sure that the drivers see your SBL and install the correct patch. The patch will only install if the SBL is installed

[email protected] - Sydney Oz

Comment

I found that ME and other 9X kernells are the best because you can fully disable the Sb16...

This is done using different Hardware profiles ... I found that fix on some other site - so credit to them if I could remember who/where they were again

Comment

I have never had the need to re-install the 4-in-1 drivers after the SoundBlaster Live!, and still don't. The method I outlined has worked successfully for many people :)
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Working...
                    X