Updating 4 in 1 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating 4 in 1 problem

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to update to the latest 4 in 1's (the 4.43 ), but when I check in device manager the only driver that gets updated is the cpu to agp controller. The bus master ide and the cpu to pci controller remains microsoft version from 7/1/2001. I want to install these drivers manually, so I try to direct the windows installer to where my 4.43's are. Problem is that I unzipped the 4.43's to a folder in my "unzipped" folder, but it is all the files apparently are under one installer via application. How do I get the actual individual driver files out of this via installer package?

Dont worry about pointing Windows to the files. Just choose to "Install the Software Automatically" and it'll search for and install the newer version.

If that doesn't work let me know (but it should).
    My Machine

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was the first thing I tried. Doesn't work, because my drivers are still listed under device manager as the older microsoft ones. How can you open up the autoinstaller package to get out the individual drivers?

Comment

Simple enough...just use Winzip. Extract the contents to an empty folder. I just tried it and it works.
        My Machine

Comment

Actually, each and every driver is not necessarily updated when a new 4in1 is released. Often only 1 driver is new. Also, doesn't it only install what your system needs by default:?:

http://downloads.viaarena.com/driver...eleaseNote.htm
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yes, that's right. If you read my FAQ you'll see which versions are the latest and how to check them.

However if your versions are not the latest for all the drivers, you can update them all by manually pointing Windows to where they're extracted (hence this thread).

And yes, while the 4-in-1s claim to install "only what is needed" I prefer ALL my system drivers to be up to date (and I've never had a problem). VIA are just taking the safe route by installing the minimal drivers by default.
            My Machine

Comment

I have unzipped the file to a folder, but it does not unzip them as individual files, but only as a selfextracting installer. I am trying to discover how to "unpackage" the individual driver files out of the self extracting installer file so that I can then individually install drivers manually. Anyone know how to do this?

My system is ASUS A7V266E with kt266A chipset.

Comment

You can unzip the .exe (the actual installer file - not the original .zip package) using Winzip...that's what I was referring to. I've tried it and it works. You can extract the full contents of the installer .exe to an empty directory and point Windows there for the individual drivers.
                My Machine

Comment

Thanks, Persian, for the tip. I didn't know you can "unzip" again after "unzipping" the downloaded file. I did that and it worked, but before I manually install drivers, I wanted to make sure that I am doing the right thing. Right now I run Windows XP and I already installed the service pack 1. My drivers, AFTER running the autoinstall 4.43's are as follows:

Via Bus Master IDE controller Microsoft 5.1.3597.0 7/1/2001
                  Via CPU to PCI Bridge Microsoft 5.1.2600.0 7/1/2001
                  Via CPU to AGP Controller Via 5.1.0.3430 7/24/2002

Looks like the CPU to AGP Controller is the updated driver, but what about the other two?

Comment

The other two drivers are the default MS XP ones. Update them to the versions shown in the sticky. The last three numbers of the driver version should correspond with the driver version shown in the installation guide.
                    My Machine

Comment

Persian, I'm getting closer. I've manually pointed windows to the bia busmaster ide controller - no problem. But I cannot locate the via cpu to pci bridge driver - where is it and what does it look like? I checked every folder and file, but no luck. Can you tell me where it is in the "unzipped" batch of folders and files?

Comment

I can't recall which folder it's in. Try using the "install the software automatically" option and let windows find the new driver wherever it lies. If that doesn't work and you've pointed your system to each and every folder then I'm out of ideas.

Personally when I chose the "install the software automatically" it found the newer version and installed it.
                        My Machine

Comment

I'm having the same exact problem today.
                          I've gotten the Via Bus Mastering IDE Controller and the Via CPU to AGP Controller updated but I cannot get the

Via Standard CPU to PCI Bridge updated even after pointing to all the folders in the unzipped exe file. It's staying as a Microsoft driver.

Any ideas?

Well, at least I got the two updated. Now I wonder if it's safe to install My ATI Radeon VE drivers instead of running the XP native one.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that driver exists in any of the folders. I wonder where you can get it from??

Comment

I've also tried burning all the files to a CD, then having it search removable media. It still didn't find the driver for the CPU to PCI bridge

Comment

Working...
                              X