Pick "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install"
    Pick Via Tech Cpu to Pci Bridge then click have disk
    the cpu to pci bridge driver is in the inf\winxp folder

Comment

Geesh and I had it search there too..

It worked!!!

Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

Still can't find it! In the inf/winxp folder, I have two files listed. The first is listed as "viamach" and it states it is a security catalog file and is 10kb in size. The second is listed as "viamach" and it states it is a setup information file and is 6 kb in size.

I point specifically to these files, but still does not install. I don't think either of these files is a driver file anyway. WHAT is going on?? Please help!

Comment

After choosing to update the Via Tech standard CPU to PCI bridge I selected "have disk" I pointed it to the inf/xp directory and it installed the driver.

Like you I didn't think it was a correct file but it worked, and updated my drivers to the Via 8/01/2001 .170 version.

Comment

Well, I finally was able to install SOMETHING, but not sure if it's correct. I copied the inf/winxp files to floppy, and then used the "have disk" option to point windows to the winxp folder on the floppy where this "driver" supposedly is. I installed it (after reading a message that it is not signed, blah blah blah), and then chose not to restart since I wanted to look at the properties first. Opened up properties and where it used to say "via tech cpu to pci" it now had one of those exclamation point warnings and it was now listed as "via cpu to agp" ??? Rather than restart, I "rolled back to previous driver" and now I'm back to the microsoft 7/1/2001 driver, no exclamation point, and listed as via tech cpu to pci again. I don't know what's going on, but I don't think I wanna screw up my computer, not knowing what I'm doing.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I forgot about giving more details on the "Have Disk" option (and you don't need to put it on floppy). Do it from your hard drive (click the Browse button), and go to the folder suggested above by 3dboiler.
              My Machine

Comment

The name of the file I pointed to was ViaMach.inf.

It is located in the inf folder of the unzipped 4 in 1 exe file and the SUB folder was WINXP.

I was also asked if I wanted to update the CPU standard host to PCI or the VIA Tech CPU to PCI bridge. I chose the VIA Tech.

I had no warning about it not being signed.

Comment

Got it finally! Had to point it to viamach.inf in the inf/winxp folder. The only way it would load! Geez, what a pain - you still had to use "have disk" and then choose " cpu to pci" in the menu of choices, then it said something like "you better not load this because you'll be sorry", but I ignored it and loaded it anyway. It works, but didn't notice any performance gain at all....

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Comment

Whoot.. glad you finally got things to load

Comment

I'm glad that ya's finally got it sorted.

Sorry but sometimes us older hands tend to sometimes leave out little bits of info that we probably think of as .... say "so everyday" that we sometimes just plain forget them. Of course we try not to but it just sometimes happens.
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I didn't notice any performance improvement with the CPU to PCI driver but the AGP driver made a huge difference for me.

Comment

A lot of times you won't see any performance increase but a lot of ppl usually get better stability from them which is usually preferred by most. The main reason these days for so many driver updates is the infinate hardware combinations now available, a few years ago we probably only had a quarter (if that) of what's available now in choices, so that's what most drivers now are for to address the problems with certain known configurations mainly. :)
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

An ezy 'r way to do it is under the system compatabillity tab for the 4in1 installer Check the win2000 option and it will install the other via option disabled by XP

Comment

i'm glad all of you are up on this new driver stuff...here goes
                                az11ea motherboard with kt133a chipset, 40 gig,512,10/100 card,cnr modem, 2way sat(usb). Trying to install logitech quick cam and my machine won't accept the driver.Logitech's web site says i need 4in1 driver and a"usb filter driver". My machine has 2 backside usb ports and pins for 2 frontside ports but i haven't found a cable for the latter. I used a belkin 4 port hub in the second backside port and am running hp photosmart card reader with no problem. Any help would be great!

Comment

Working...
                                X