Originally posted by volton
    Im glad to say that for the first time in a while
    the new Hyperion drivers have improved my computing
    experience eg : 3d Mark 2001 se score from 7500 : 8300

cool eh

now the score is 9153 with my new CPU

10 000 soon :flames:

Comment

I have the most current via hyperion drivers. I think I want to go back and use my previous hyperion drivers that I had just before these latest ones. Will I have to uninstall the latest version before I install the earlier ones? Or can I just install the earlier ones "over" the newer ones? Thanks.

Comment

Try running the older ones, but most likely you'll have to unzip the package, and manually install the older drivers for each device (instructions in the guide).
        My Machine

Comment

Hi, my drive is UDMA 5, but Windows XP uses UDMA-4. My question is, how could I fix the problem?

The cable is ATA100, also the drive. I had checked them in another machine runing XP, so I guess is something related with Windows and VIA (the chipset).

I tried differents things, change to PIO, then restore to DMA, something is that when it is in PIO mode, Sandra "says" that the current mode is UDMA-5!!?? Of course when it returns to DMA, Sandra detects UDMA-4, mmmm

Additional info:

I have applied your guide Formax to Relax:thumb:
          Sandra 2003 = 23139kb/s
          MB: Gigabyte 6VTX
          Chipset: VIA Technologies Inc VT82C694X Apollo Pro 133A System
          Hyperion: 4.46
          ViaBusMasterIDE: 5.1.2600.120 18/10/2001
          HardDrive: Maxtor Model 4D040K2 (5400 RPM)

P.S. Compared with the results in Sandra is fast as a ATA100 5400RPM, so I have nothing to worry about?

Comment

If you're drive is running as fast as ATA100 should be then don't worry, but check to make sure your hard drive is the master on the primary channel for best speed. Check the back of the drive to make sure the switches are set for MASTER.

Other than that it sounds very odd for Sandra to detect UDMA5 when in PIO mode. The only thing you can do is check your BIOS settings once more and make sure SMART is enabled as well.

Other than that, don't sweat it if the speed is there.
            My Machine

Comment

just checked and my Maxtor 80 GB is running at UDMA mode 5 in the Device manager. I am running Windows XP with SP 1a and also I believe I have SP2 as well in there.

VIA Hyperion 4.46 drivers.

Mentioned earlier: " have the same problem with my DVD drive, unfortunately the Hyperions didn't fix it for me and WinXP won't let me change modes manually.
              Does anyone have any suggestions?"

Start - RUN - regedit
              right click on Hkey-local machine-software and right click and make sure that you have "Permissions" enabeled to literally change things. You can do the same thing to hardware as well in the registry. perhaps that might help, and won't hurt anything.

Comment

Cool guide !!!

Comment

I have a question though I'm not sure if this is the place to ask it but anyway. I recently had windows(98SE) re-installed on my computer. I had a problem with my CD drives. One of them would not work with certain disks(it would just keep spinning up and down) and the other one couldn't install things properly(the disk would stop spinning during the installation and it wouldn't finish). When I got my computer back neither of those problems seemed to be there(I installed a few games with the second drive and had no problems). I had to update the 4in1 drivers because the performance in games was awful. When I did update them(to the latest version) the game performance was fine but the issues with the CD drives returned.
                  Do you have any idea how I might fix this problem? I was thinking maybe older versions of the drivers would work but I tried the ones recommended for Win98SE and that didn't change anything. Should I try even older versions or is there a different answer to the problem?

My specs:
                  AMD Athlon 1.7ghz
                  GeForce4 Ti 4600(w/ latest drivers)
                  256 SDRAM
                  Win98SE
                  DirectX 9.0b

Comment

Well I have to say this guide at the TweakTown forums is the best one out there. Anyways seems like the guide needs another update. Here is for those who can't wait.

Update! VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.49 Released! -08/20/03

I just installed these today and things are working great thus far. Here are the version numbers as follows.

Windows XP

VIA Registry (INF) Driver
                    4in1Version 4.49
                    Viamach 1.90b

VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
                    10/18/2001

VIA CPU to AGP Controller
                    7/2/2003

As for the "CPU to PCI Bridge", I believe they renamed it in the driver selection menu. Now it seems they changed it to "VIA Standard Host Bridge"

VIA Standard Host Bridge
                    8/16/2001

VIA Standard PCI to ISA Bridge
                    8/16/2001

:bounce: http://www.viaarena.com/ :bounce:

Comment

Thanks. For everyone installing the 4.49s make sure you use the official version from VIA Arena, and not the earlier FTP version which was reported widely on the net. The official file has the version number 4.49vp2. The earlier version will cause problems such as identifying your IDE drives as SCSI etc.

The FAQ has also been updated for the latest version.
                      My Machine

Comment

I tryed install the latest via 4in1 drivers but they kept crashing my PC while installing. I tryed v4.49 and 4.48 they both crashed while installing or on rebooting up, so i had to settle with v4.45 drivers. I have:-

Abit KR7A Raid motherboard
                        AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
                        512 MB memory ddr266
                        Gainward geForce 4 Ti4200 golden sample x4 AGP
                        two IBM GXP120 60Gigabyte hardrives to form raid 0
                        creative audigy2 sound card platinium

so could anybody advise me on which version of 4in1 drivers
                        would be best??? plz

Thank you

Comment

If you're fine with the 4.45 version keep it. No need to update if you're having problems.
                          My Machine

Comment

Hi all,

I have a similar problem to what was mentioned in an earlier reply in that my udma5 hdd only shows as udma4 in device manager in XP pro.

I did a few benchmarks in sandra pro 2k3 and my drive is running at around 8mb p/s... (pitiful... around ata33 speed)

Should be around 20mb p/s if it was on udma5

here's my config:
                            Gigabyte GA-6vtxe-a / PIII 1ghz / via 694 chipset / 256mb 133 sdram
                            Quantum Fireball ex 20gb udma5 hdd on pri master
                            LG 50x udma2 cdrom on secondary master
                            ATI radeon 9000 pro

Here's what I've tried so far:
                            Clean install of xp pro from scratch - dm shows udma4
                            Installed sp1a - dm shows udma4
                            Installed hyperion 4.49vp2 - dm shows udma4
                            replaced 80pin cable - no change
                            confirmed bios is most recent available (ami p9) for this board
                            confirmed all bios settings are correct

changed hdd to pio mode only (as mentioned in another forum) and sandra reports it as udma5, however benchmark showed around 2.8mb p/s ... soon changed that back

I should note that the bios shows the hdd as being udma5 at boot time.

has anyone been able to find a fix for this? I've seen the issue mentioned in a few other forums but nobody has a fix for it...

any help would be greatly appreciated, not just by me but by a lot of people with this issue.

Comment

:( VIA convieniently left out wich would be the best driver set for WinME. Anyone know if the better performing set for WinMe is 4.49 or 4.35?

Comment

Whatever goes for Win98 goes for WinME too, there's no difference. Use 4.35.
                                My Machine

Comment

Working...
                                X