Confusion over P4PB 266E Mainboard release by VIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion over P4PB 266E Mainboard release by VIA

I'm quite confused as to why VIA would release a new motherboard based on a slower chipset then what is currently out. I just got an email from VIA talking about their new P4PB motherboard based on the P4X266E chipset.

We have had major issues with the SiS Xabre400 on P4X333 motherboards, maybe this is why... Here's the press release anyway:

VIA Announces P4PB 266E Mainboard, First to be Based on the VIA Apollo P4X266E Chipset

New VIA P4PB 266E mainboard enables support for the latest high-speed 533MHz FSB Intel® Pentium® 4 processors, USB 2.0, and high quality six channel audio

Taipei, Taiwan, 25 July 2002 - VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator and developer of silicon chip technologies and PC platform solutions, today announced the VIA P4PB 266E mainboard for the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor platform, the first motherboard from VIA to feature the highly versatile VIA Apollo P4X266E chipset.

The VIA P4PB 266E offers the performance and feature set necessary to stay abreast in today’s dynamic computing environment. Based on the VIA Apollo P4X266E chipset, the successor of the highly acclaimed Apollo P4X266A, the P4PB 266E mainboard features 533MHz front side bus support for the latest high-speed Intel® Pentium® 4 processors and the rich 2D/3D graphics performance of AGP4X, as well as supporting today’s “must have” features such as DDR266 SDRAM memory, USB 2.0, six channel audio, and ATA/133.

The six USB 2.0 ports on the VIA P4PB 266E enable seamless connectivity to all the latest high speed multimedia devices and peripherals such as digital video cameras, MP3 players, and the next generation of scanners and printers while also providing backwards compatibility with established USB 1.1 standard devices.

An onboard VIA VT1616 audio codec provides six channels of studio quality, crisp, digital surround sound and supports both optical and S/PDIF outputs. The P4PB 266E is bundled with a S/PDIF connector bracket that fits neatly into any available PC chassis I/O expansion slot. The S/PDIF brackets enables digital to digital signal transfers between devices thus eliminating the signal degradation associated with traditional analog audio.

An onboard Smart Card connector enables easy implementation of PC Smart Card reader solutions. Smart Card solutions offer businesses, government, and individuals the highest level of security for applications such as online transactions, credit cards, electronics cash and identification cards. Smart Card implementation continues to grow as organizations continue to move towards storing and releasing information via networks, Intranets, extranets and the Internet.

“The VIA P4PB 266E mainboard features all the essential performance and connectivity technologies to enable our customers to maximize their technology investments in today’s highly unpredictable business environment,” commented Richard Brown, Director of Marketing at VIA Technologies, Inc. “It provides a high performance yet affordable platform for building market-leading PC systems.”

FliteDeck™ Firmware Suite
    VIA P4PB 266E mainboard users enjoy the added benefit of VPSD’s FliteDeck™ bundle. FliteDeck is an extensive system management suite that empowers the user by enabling full system control through an easy to use Windows®-based management suite. FliteDeck enables advanced features such as overclocking, CPU fan speed and temperature monitoring and BIOS updates. FliteDeck comprises four utilities, MissionControl, JetStream, FlashPort, and SysProbe. For more information on the FliteDeck suite of software and firmware applications please visit our website at:

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/FliteDeck_spec.jsp

VIA P4PB 266E Pricing and Availability
    The VIA P4PB 266E is available now through VPSD global distribution partners. Pricing information is available on request. For further details please visit our website http://www.viavpsd.com

About VIA Platform Solutions Division

VPSD brings to market a wide selection of VIA branded products and platforms for building high-performance PCs, workstations and servers, as well as facilitating the rapid development of an exciting new generation of desktop and mobile Information PCs, Information Servers, and Information Stations in line with VIA's "Total Connectivity" vision. Products offered by VPSD include a complete line of high performance mainboard solutions based on the industry-leading VIA Apollo P4X400, P4X266E, and P4M266 chipsets, and the innovative new VIA EPIA mainboard based on the ultra compact mini-ITX form factor. Detailed product information about the complete VPSD product line is available at the VPSD website at www.viavpsd.com.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Yeah, that struck me as a little odd for them to release a slower P4 chipset when I got that e-mail this morning. The board seems to be pretty loaded, however.

Comment

The P4X266E is a low-cost chipset that is why we are doing it OEM's dont want DDR333 just yet.

As for the SiS Xabre400 you must use the right AGP driver for AGP 8x the VIA 8x AGP driver will be out in time for the ATI R9700.
      And we have dropped the P4x333 as we got the P4x400 working so quick and we didn’t want to only have a chipset out for 1 month!

Comment

Thanks for clearing things up a bit.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

This chipset was announced about two months ago and VIA clearly stated what the intentions of this chipset were to not only the media but also the public. This is why I found the heading “Confusion over P4PB P4X266E motherboard release by VIA” a little odd. I could have helped out here also “I very much doubt anyone from VIA will attempt to give confirmation, wonders never cease to amaze though.” You do not need anyone from VIA I could have just linked you to the appropriate material that clearly states why VIA did so. By the way, incase boards based on the i854GL chipset catch you out I will clear things up now. The i845GL is the same deal as the P4X266E, there budget boards aimed at the OEM market. Anyway just thought that was obvious and thanx for posting my news Mr. Tweak!

Comment

It seems I missed that very obvious piece of news then. I'm used to 6 month product cycles, not 2 month.
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I'm curious John, who are these OEMs that are actually buying VIA's P4 Chipsets? I believe DDR333 acceptance has been relatively limited and will continue to be so until sometime next year, but DDR400 is a long shot to say the least. You can't even verify whether or not JEDEC will ever approve a DDR-400 spec. Also, how did ya'll manage to drop the P4X333 without repercussions from Motherboard manufacturers? I know that there were a few demo boards at Computex and I had heard from the Grapevine of more. R&D for motherboards isn't free and that's alot of wasted time. Ya'll should work out a steadier development process like in previous times.

Oh, yeah, I designed that Ramstore.ca logo! :) hehe.

Comment

I do not think there were any issues going to the P4X400 so quickly since there was no need for motherboard makers to alter their P4X333 boards. A simple name change was required and the new P4X400 chipset replaced the P4X333 chipset just like that. The P4X266E isn’t just aimed at OEM’s (that’s what I gathered), it’s also aimed at the budget or value market. Intel produced a similar chipset to compete with VIA in this market segment so there is obviously some need for these chipsets. Mr. Tweak you run a tech site and so do I, personally I do not sit back and expect a new product very six months. This is a competitive market and if pushing product release dates ahead is required to stay on top then I’m all for it. Just means we get newer technologies faster, or in this case it’s a slightly slower technology aimed at those with a slightly smaller budget. In any case you can go on and on about this topic but the original discussion remains the same and that is the P4X266E is a value/budget chipset!

Comment

I currantly have a P4X400 board and SiS Xabre400

we will soon see if this 8x board can actually do AGP 8x

as for P4X266E. Its not going to be seen in the retail market. After all why would use use an old Chipset for new P4's? just seems silly

Comment

we will soon see if this 8x board can actually do AGP 8x
                    I can tell you not the Xabre wont work on that board mate!

Comment

Well the Xabre runs 8X on SiS boards. Xabre is well rated within the 8X specs. so if VIA have put the 8x specs to work it should all go properlly

Comment

The same problem occurs with the nForce boards. The Xabre is that buggy you would be a fool to believe the problem could not somehow relate to the Xabre. Anyway VIA say their AGP 8x controller is fine with the R300 and SavageXP GPU’s. Not saying this is correct but both myself and Anand saw the R300 running AGP 8x on a VIA chipset. Yes the Xabre works on a SiS board but that might have something to do with the Xabre being a SiS product. You would hope there own products are compatible.

Comment

Why you're mighty quick to jump to the defence of VIA aren't you Steven? Why?
                          Managing Director
                          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

And Steven correct me if I am wrong but isn't the SavageXP a VIA product as well?

OMG, the plot thickens... hehe
                            Managing Director
                            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Man are you that clueless? Yes the SavageXP is a VIA product that we are yet to see! I’m not defending VIA … I am pointing out your own stupidity. You were the one making ridicules accusations about a product release that couldn’t have been anymore inaccurate if you tried. Get over it mate you said “I'm quite confused as to why VIA would release a new motherboard based on a slower chipset then what is currently out.” You got your answer and it was just as obvious as it is now as it was 2 months ago. You also just made a post titled “Clarification on release of P4X266E motherboard release by VIA”. Had you not posted something you were unsure about in the first place you wouldn’t of had to clarify anything. By the way don’t even bother trying to hurt my credibility because you wont get far before being shot down. When you find dodgy reviews that I have done get back to me …. I just reviewed the Xabre and found it to be a GPU with a lot of potential. The Xabre was an awesome performer with a lot of bugs :( Personal I don’t think the SavageXP will be able to compete on a performance level but like I said we are yet to see this product. Therefore I wont comment on it eliminating the chances of me having to clarify anything :)

Comment

Working...
                              X