• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is sis

I have the a SiS mobo. what exactly does that mean

SIS=Chipset maker
    theyve been around a while and are know for making budget chipsets
    they are ususally slower, and cheaper than VIA, ALI, or intel
    but they temd to be pretty good stability and compatibility wise.

EDIT BTW
    which board you got

Comment

SiS is no longer budget anymore

648 is here and it kicks butt from the early tests

Comment

I still say budget...

:flames: Budget from HELL!!!!:flames:

been 9 months and still cant belive I got a K7S5A (SIS 735) for 60$

Comment

I have a ECS K7S5A board :laugh:
          When i had more money i want out and got a Soltek :thumb:
          With a VIA chipset

Comment

I have no probs with my ECS K7S5A SIS board.
            It was cheap and with Cheapomans bios... it is better than out of box.
            Somtimes bargains are better.:D

Comment

Yeah I've had none with our's (PC No.3 in sig) since the purchase of a PSU which cost more than the board did but tell all the ppl here about ya success and see what they tell ya. :rolleyes2
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

SiS = High performance. Beats, intel, stomps Via. for less $$$$$$$$, you make the call......................................."true value"
                Asus P4S533 P4-1.6a@2133ghz.(133fsb, all other bus in spec.) default voltage and stock intel hsf. "Smokin"
                'nuf said. :thumb:

Jeff in LA.

Comment

SIS = Silicon Integrated Systems, a Taiwanese manufacturer of motherboard and video chips.

Comment

Budget chipset maker, and a GOOD budget chipset maker.

Only warning I have is with Linux and the SiS530 chipset; You have to do custom install or the memory handling gets messed (slow as molassoas).

Also thier 'budget' name is something of a misnomer as most people tend to equate budget with inferior. The chipsets are solid and tested.

Comment

From what I've been hearing and reading for the past 6 monthes or so SiS is one of the better buys out there, solid. stable, cheap with power and features. As for their AMD offerings I don't know but suspect that they are also good. I'm trying to track down a micro-ATX SiS mobo for new LAN rig I'm building. Whats the word on ECS motherboards, they have a new one P4S5MG/651+ here in the US based on SiS651/962L, I'd heard that ECS didn't offer much for OCing tools, what the word out there.
                      Regards to All, Szandor

Comment

MSI have a micro-ATX board based on an SiS chipset that goes fairly well, not sure on model name of it at all.

Sir good, but i got a PCI video card for a second monitor that winxp hasnt got the card on the windows HCL so i cant make it the secondary display - only promary :(

Comment

Originally posted by glazenuts
                          SiS = High performance. Beats, intel, stomps Via. for less $$$$$$$$, you make the call......................................."true value"
                          Asus P4S533 P4-1.6a@2133ghz.(133fsb, all other bus in spec.) default voltage and stock intel hsf. "Smokin"
                          'nuf said. :thumb:

Jeff in LA.
                          Same mobo :thumb: Love my sis 645 Dx chipset :cool:
                          <!-- Begin Code Amber Ticker code. -->
                          <P ALIGN=CENTER>
                          <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
                          </script>
                          </P>
                          <!-- end of Code Amber Ticker code (c)Copyright codeamber.org 2002, 2003-->

Comment

Then you'll love the SiS648 even better. ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X