Job of the Northbridge Chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job of the Northbridge Chipset

The northbridge typically handles communications between the CPU, RAM, AGP or PCI Express, and the southbridge.
    Now, is the chip just a processor or does it include firmware if you will that controls it, telling it where to send the signals

Re: Job of the Northbridge Chipset

THe bios controls the base functions of the motherboard.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

The northbridge handles communications from the CPU directly to your ram RAM for intel.amd has on board mem controller built into it.this is why amd has no northbridge and only a southbridge

The southbridge handles communications from the cpu to AGP or the PCI Express slots\pci slots.
      Last edited by bf2nut; 07-30-2007, 05:28 AM.
      Stacker830 Watercooled
      windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
      Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
      8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
      Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
      13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
      (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
      biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
      xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
      sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
      co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
      Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
      Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Its like a traffic lights , it makes sure that everyone useing these buses can send there data , also it lets the southbridge send its data via the northbridge.

Cpu is the boss , cpu gives rights to the northbridge to keep all the buses intact and keep them all flowing good and there are quartz crystals on the board to keep all the data flowing on a certain hearbet or mhz. Every component has like a ID number , well not one id but depending how many lanes they use it has that many ID numbers for there bus which they then transfer the data to the northbridge and wherever it needs to go from there.

i think. :)

Comment

Originally posted by bf2nut View Post
          The northbridge handles communications from the CPU directly to your ram RAM for intel.amd has on board mem controller built into it.this is why amd has no northbridge and only a southbridge

The southbridge handles communications from the cpu to AGP or the PCI Express slots\pci slots.
          I most certainly wouldn't ask you for advice on PC's after that post (I've never seen a proper AGP slot hang off a southbridge).

Comment

firmware can be found on the following devices

Mboard (the firmware usually upgrades all associeted chipsets, raid etc)

CDrom/DVD drives

Graphics Cards - i haven't updated firmware on a graphics card for a couple years, but some do have updateable firmware.

Raid controllers (pci) tend to have firmware

Printers espcially network ones

but generally the 2 you have to worry about are motherboard & cdrom/dvd (lets you read more media types)
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

it acts as the bridge between cpu and HDD, RAM and VCARD.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)
                Ahh, it always helps to Google a question first. I will stick with just Intel architecture for now. AMD was similar. Before the Intel I series chips, the CPU was connected to the Northbridge. That chip had the memory controller and the buss that connected to the south bridge. In addition, the graphics buss was connected to the north bridge. think of the bridge chips as major road interchanges. Data travels from the cpu to ram, data from an input travels from the south bridge, through the north bridge to the processor. When Intel came out with the I7, they put the memory controller inside the CPU and what they call, the Quick Path Interconnect between it and the IOH chip, formerly known as the South Bridge. Without going into any more detail, you can google computer architecture, north bridge, south bridge, memory controller and all kinds of computer stuff and get comprehensive answers to such questions.

Comment

Working...
                X