Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATA support needed

Hi all

I need to renew my Mobo and have been looking for a good one with a chipset that supports four ATA devices. I have my two DVD units and two ATA HD's that I want to keep and then some SATA units also. Most of the new chipsets support only two ATA units and some of them like the new Intel chipsets have no ATA support. Recommendations for a AM2/Core2Duo Mobo with such support would be appreciated. I have not found any yet that have DDR2/800 support and are good gaming Mobo's. Also I would like to ask it the solution could be a ad-on card (PCI or PCIe)? I have seen some ATA cards available but I have no idea if they can be used as a on board ATA plug for HD/DVD use.

All advice highly appreciated.

Aleks

Re: ATA support needed

The cheapest and quicker way would be to buy an addon card, plug it in, plug your ATA devices in, boot up.
    I've been using one for years on the computer I use for video edits, haven't had any problems yet

Comment

If you do get an add on card make sure its not PCI, the bandwidth is too slow for a HDD go for pciex1 orx4 or x8 I would recommend planning for a board with a pcie x4 slot
      Last edited by buhweet; 11-30-2006, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Ummm buhweet .... I don't know what to say about that last answer of yours. PCI slots have been used for ATA and SCSI cards for many, many years and work just fine.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I mean that the bandwidth of the card is not fast enough, correct me if im wrong but I thought that a PCI card had a bandwidth of 333mb and the PCIe x1
          almost 2x that at 533mbps or so. I also though that a ATA drive had a bandwidth od SATA which was really stupid, I should have researched.
          Sorry!

Comment

Thx guy's. I appreciate your help. I'll use your advice and get me a PATA ad-on card that can handle my "old " HD's .

Aleks

Comment

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
              Thx guy's. I appreciate your help. I'll use your advice and get me a PATA ad-on card that can handle my "old " HD's .

Aleks

Currently one C2D Board supports 4 IDE devices.The MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition.This board has also got the prestigious Toms Hardware Editor's Choice Award.

Go here for the review :-

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/...duo/page8.html

Another Review :-

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...ZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

U can go for an AM2 system if u like to.U can go for the MSI K9NGM2

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=735

I suggest u go for the MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition coz it's got onboard 4 IDE support & u won't have to buy any additional PATA card & it's also very affordable among 975x boards for C2D without sacrificing performance & it's also Quad Core ready.
              Last edited by AMDATHLONFX; 01-14-2007, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X