90nm vs. 0.13mm with MSI NF3 board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90nm vs. 0.13mm with MSI NF3 board.

Hello guys. Some might remember me ..some don't even know me. I am in a middle of lil dillemma here. I am about to purchase the AMD 64 (939) and the NEO plantinum combo. Though the have a special on the 90nm process 3500+ for only 20 bucks over the 0.13 process. Will the the MSI board support this process or no?...

Is it even worth it?... I believe it runs cooler?
    - Damien

Re: 90nm vs. 0.13mm with MSI NF3 board.

Yes it will support it, but there was a recent issue regarding the MSI board where the board lies about half multipliers. It isn't capable of doing half multipliers and boosts the FSB up covertly instead to come up with a comparable overall speed. Unfortunately, this can cause some real problems with stability if you have plans of overclocking.

Just food for thought.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Darth.
      - Damien

Comment

will 90nm still have problems with stability...
        - Damien

Comment

No, 90nm will work fine. The multiplier issue is prertty much a non-issue in your case, and shouldn't be enough to stop most overclockers from getting the board.

Comment

you think i will need a bigger PSU if i add 5 case fans to my case and stock HSF?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...153-006&DEPA=1
            - Damien

Comment

Maybe. I'd say better to err on the side of caution and get a 480W from Thermaltake. I do think a 420W can handle it, but you never know, and if you do overclock in the future you won't have to worry about the PSU.

Comment

Working...
              X