Heatsink and Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatsink and Fan

Well this week I'm putting a new heatsink and fan on my 1 Gigapro system. I've worked with electronics for a while so I've applied heatsink compound before, but only to power transistors. Can anyone tell me some things to watch out for when you do a heatsink\fan replacement. Also will it improve the performance of a Via C3 cpu? Supposedly the Via C3 processor stays cooler than AMD or Intel cpus. How hot is too hot and how cool will make a difference? Happy St. Patty's Day Everyone

Well in my efforts to improve the performance of my Via 1 Giga pro system by adding a honking heatsink and fan I was disappointed again. While using the sisoft sandra program and even in the motherborad manual it lists the socket for this board as socket 370. The cpu in embedded in the board and is by no means socket 370 size. Has anyone seen this motherboard before? The fan and heatsink on it look like 486?!?! size. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily with some screwing around on cpucool I bumped the FSB up to 139.5mhz. Also using wcpuid I bumped the cpu multiplier up from 5 to 5.5 Now my 667mhz system is operating at 765mhz. For cooling I'm currently using 12mm by 12mm 120VAC ball bearing fan inside the case. It's blowing right on the cpu and ram and seems to keep the machine stable at the current cpu speed and fsb speed. I think this might be the limit for this system but we'll see.

Comment

You'll have to keep us upated on this as you just may become our resident VIA C3 expert as the rest of us use AMD or Intel setups. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well I don't know about being a Via C3 expert but I have learned a little bit more about the chip. One of the lame things about this chip is I can't figure out how to alter the cpu voltage. There is no setting in the bios for this and no jumper settings on the motherboard. I'm assuming that because the cpu is embedded on the motherboard the designers weren't thinking about features when they made this sucker. Anyway if I can find a way to change that voltage, I think because of Via's claims that the C3 is the coolest running cpu on the market, I can crank up the cpu multiplier without having to put on a larger heatsink.

Comment

Why the hell would you want to overclock a VIA C3?............

I have built a few C3 systems...for business use only of course...thats what they are aimed at...but they are not really made for the overcloking or gaming market...:p
          Quick!!….Pack your bags!!…

The Elephants are coming!!…

Comment

Well the main reason to overclock this processor is to see what you can get from it. I mean we are talking about a motherboard with a built in cpu. The whole board with processor retails for about $150.00. So my thinking is if you can get any sort of improvment to the cpu's overall performance with nothing more than a few tweaks and a fan then why not? Some people I think overclock their systems because they need the extra performance for games or whatever. Some people overclock because they find the process interesting and get a kick out of making their system faster even if the benefits are small. Through learning about this system I can apply the information I've obtained to my next computer purchace or to help some of my less computer savvy friends. I think in all honesty I just enjoy the process Moose.

Comment

Well...I suppose everyone must have somthing to float their boat....:p

Comment

Yeah, and beer and hockey! They float my boat too.

Comment

Whos boat doesn't get floated by beer!!! :p

Comment

That'd be me. I'm a big freak anyway:rolleyes: Not a real hockey fan---it should just be a ass-kicking free for all.:D

Beer is an acquired taste, and I don't mind the occasional cold one now and then--I've found that is rather refreshing to have one alone. But I don't really need beer. I need my caffine and sugar---yet I still fall asleep in class...:laugh:

Comment

hmmmmmmm cafine high coke mmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
                        I need my caffine and sugar---yet I still fall asleep in class...:laugh:

Same here mate... glad to see somebody here is in the same boat as me :thumb:
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Working...
                        X