VIA 4.50 Hyperions Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA 4.50 Hyperions Released

You can grab the latest 4.50 Hyperions (4in1s) from VIA Arena here. The only change seems to be an upgrade to the inf driver from 1.90 to 2.00. I'll update my Hyperion guide shortly, but none of the info in it will change as there are no major changes to the Hyperions.

As always, if you're happy with your current VIA drivers there's no urgent need to upgrade. There have reports of slight performance improvements, but these may not be the case for older VIA chipsets.

NOTE: Read this thread entirely before thinking about installing the current 4.50 Hyperions...lots of problems with them.
    My Machine

Whats the correct way to remove the old 4 in 1's to install the new ones?

Comment

You don't need to uninstall the old drivers before installing new ones. Chipset (motherboard) drivers don't need a "clean install". The best you can do to clear out older drivers is to read my Hyperion FAQ and use the manual method to uinstall/install drivers for the individual devices which are affected, and then check the driver versions to make sure they're the latest.
      My Machine

Comment

These have been withdrawn from the VIA site but are apparently still available elsewhere.

Don't touch with the proverbial barge pole as they are causing mayhem and severe HD corruption - I kid you not!

For once, I didn't automatically d/l and install when I spotted the new drivers. Checked out the forums.viaarena.com 1st and saved myself huge grief.

jackjoe

Comment

Yes, I've heard some reports of this now. It seems related to the same sort of corruption (Delayed Write Failure) that the LargeSystemCache registry tweak causes.

Obviously until this is sorted out it would be very wise not to install these and stick with the 4.49's or previous.
          My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
            Yes, I've heard some reports of this now. It seems related to the same sort of corruption (Delayed Write Failure) that the LargeSystemCache registry tweak causes.

Obviously until this is sorted out it would be very wise not to install these and stick with the 4.49's or previous.
            Holy Macroll did those mess up my system!!!!! Delayed Write Failure galore!
            Had to reformat, thought I messed up my Bios but was able to get it working again, then somehow lost my power supply to the deal:confused: . ****, never seen anything like it! I'm glad I had Windows on its own little seperate partition on the drive otherwise I would have been doing alot of reinstalling.

After reformatting and then reinstalling the new chipset drivers to a clean slate everything seems to work good. I don't recommend installing these new chipset drivers if your system has the old ones on it. START CLEAN!

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I would have thought after all the problems VIA has had in the past, they would pay extra careful attention to their 4in1s. I was becoming used to the 4in1s being at least relatively stable.

Now they've gone and done this, and no doubt lost a lot of support because of it. I've had Delayed Write Failure in the past (when I've used the LargeSystemCache registry tweak) and it's terrible. Completely messes up your drive and requires a reformat/reinstall of Windows.
              My Machine

Comment

Working...
              X