Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA KT266A AGP issues

Hi
    I can't seem to find a solution to my problem anywhere...
    My video card is running in AGP (PCI mode). I've tried installing several versions of the VIA 4in1 (including latest hyperion). This does cause my video card to run in AGP 4X, but every time I update the 4in1 my system becomes unstable. When I try to play a game or use any application that involves video, my system crashes hard (ctrl-alt-del is useless). I've tried the registry patches at AMD and VIA, wiped my drive and reinstalled windows numerous times, taken all hardware out of my system except vid card and installed fresh, disabled devices in BIOS, tried every damn BIOS option and nothing helps!

WIN 2K Pro w/SP4
    ATHLON XP 1700+
    Aopen AK77PRO(a), AWARD BIOS ver 1.16, VIA KT266A
    Apollo Bloody Monster GEFORCE FX 5200 (latest det drivers)
    256 Kingston PC2100
    DirectX 9.0b

Simple. Don't use the via drivers. I've run with and without them, and I've actually run into problems, although far and few between, with the via drivers.

Comment

But then I am stuck with AGP (PCI mode) and that is not what I paid good money for!

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
        Simple. Don't use the via drivers. I've run with and without them, and I've actually run into problems, although far and few between, with the via drivers.
        Very unhelpful advice. If you run windowsXP you're already using the 4.35 VIA 4in1s because they're built into XP. Updating the 4in1s can give performance and stability boosts. Read the sticky at the top of this forum for the correct use of the 4in1s. You shouldn't just install lots and lots of different versions over each other - only the latest one. Again, read the guide.
        My Machine

Comment

Working...
        X