nForce2 Dual Channel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nForce2 Dual Channel Question

I think this has been discussed, but I did not come away with a clear cut answer, so here goes.

Compare a nForce2 mobo with (2) Crucial 256 MB sticks (in Dual Channel mode)

versus

An nForce2 mobo with (2) Crucial 256 MB sticks (in Dual Channel mode) AND (1) more 256 MB stick.

Assuming all ram is same speed, size, brand, timings, etc.

First Question: Is the effectivness of the Dual Channel lost? If it is not lost completely, how is it affected?

with the 3rd stick you would have 768 MB of DDR in single channel mode

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
      with the 3rd stick you would have 768 MB of DDR in single channel mode
      Which I don't reccomend at all, get two 512Mb modules if ya need more mem.. :devil win

:cheers:

Comment

Yes, That is what I thought.

Thank you very much.

Comment

actualy i have heard somewhere that you can take say a 512 stick put it in slot 1 and then take 2x 256 and put them in the other 2 slots. with this setup i have heard that it will be dual channel but i have not tried this nor can i confirm it

Comment

wont work...you have to have 2 identical sticks to have dual channel

Comment

Abit's original NF1 board could use all 3 DIMMs, but the last DIMM had to be single-sided. Other NF1 boards would cut some of the bandwith down. Not sure if this still applies to the NF2s, but I haven't been as up to date with them as I usually am.

Comment

Why bother......dual channel is pointless on Athlon XPs, they can't utilize it to make it worth the trouble...if you run single channel you can usually get a higher overclock which more than makes up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                  Soulburner[/size]]
                  Why bother......dual channel is pointless on Athlon XPs, they can't utilize it to make it worth the trouble...if you run single channel you can usually get a higher overclock which more than makes up for it.
                  Another pointless post from ya again I see which shows just how little ya know about AMD setups so keep ya comments to things ya may know about like Intel systems as that post just shows how well uninformed ya really are (not to mention how late ya are on this one).

Comment

I'm with Wiggo on this one. The dual channel does make a drastic and noticeable difference with the Athlon XP processors. If you have doubts about it, then check out the difference in performance levels when comparing an nForce2 based motherboard with both the KT400 and KT600 models that are readily available to the public. Even the newer KT600 board doesn't get you to the same plateau in regards to either overall performance or memory bandwidth. If this isn't a significant benefit, then maybe I should change hobbies. :rolleyes2
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

I'm certainly not goin' to dump a memory channel on my nForce2 setups as I'd only have the same performance then as a KT400/A setup. :no:

Comment

Actually soulburner is correct if your FSB is above 166 as it should be for all good OCers.

DC on AMD only gets you about 2% to 3% more bandwidth if you are lucky and it usually retards your ability to get your Highest FSB. test it out for yourself on Sandra. This should change (hopefully) when the Athlon64 is released.:)

Comment

Oh so i'm making this up?

AMD Single vs. Dual Channel

http://www.ocaddiction.com/forums/sh...&threadid=9541

:rolleyes2

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                            "Stupid people shouldn't breed"
                            I hope that ya practise what ya preach.

Originally posted by [size=6
                            Darthtanion[/size]]
                            If you have doubts about it, then check out the difference in performance levels when comparing an nForce2 based motherboard with both the KT400 and KT600 models that are readily available to the public. Even the newer KT600 board doesn't get you to the same plateau in regards to either overall performance or memory bandwidth.
                            Go and have a look at the reviews around the web as Darth suggested but I know which of my AMD systems perform the best and the nForce2 ones leave my VIA ones well behind. :blah:

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                              Really now? Then how come I can notice a differnce between single and dual channel in game l;oading times etc? But no, there is no difference

Comment

Working...
                              X