No announcement yet.

nForce2 Dual Channel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here. I use WinAMP 3, which a lot of people complain and say is 'resource hungry'... yet I don't notice a thing. Also, running all my All-in-Wonder software, as well as my Audigy 2 software... and running everything else, that extra bit of oomph in the memory area helps.

Comment

Beefy: That article came up with roughly the same numbers as I did. 2-4%. Whether or not windows does in fact load faster for you, or it just seems like it, well I guess the only way to test that is by doing a more accurate test with a stopwatch.

As far as the tests run go, I'd say they definitely stress the memory. MPEG4 encoding loves memory bandwidth, but like I tested there's only a ~2.7% increase in bandwidth using dual channel, which is exactly how much faster the encoding is.

I think the gain from having two memory controllers is that it can access and retrieve two pieces of data (assuming they're stored on different sticks) at the same time and have them both READY to go to the CPU. Since the cpu memory bus is only 64 bits wide, which is how wide the memory controllers are each, only 1 piece of data can be sent through. The small gain though is when 1 piece of data is sent and the other is already there waiting thanks to a second memory controller, instead of the first one having to go back and forth again. Judging from the tests though that portion obviously doesn't take long at all. Barely long enough to make a marginal difference in most scenarios.

Just for yucks I've run in single channel for the last day or so to see if I noticed a difference, but I can't say I have. Even in games I don't really notice any FPS drops or slower loading times. Windows loads in the exact same number of bar passes. For me it's definitely not noticeable, but like it's been shown running in dual channel is basically an extra 2-3% gain for free, so why not utilize it.

Comment

Alot depends on whether you run your system overclocked or not. If you are running stock 133 or 166 FSB then Dual channel can make upwards of 50% or more bandwidth. This is significant:eek: Unfortunately if you are OCing then at 200fsb (maybe lower) it only makes 2% to 6% difference. The Increased performance of running 200FSB or better more than makes up for the difference in loss of DC advantage. 2% to 6% difference IS a difference and closly approximates the cost increase for DC so that is a wash when OCing. There is no reason not to use DC except that it often limits your top OC fsb. It is definately excellent when running your sytem near or at stock speeds on all but two of AMD current CPUs.

Hope this clears up why there are two completely opposing veiw on this subject. I promise that my info is spot on. I make a rule of posting accurate info.

BTW I was never rude in this forum although I did call somebody "just a reader" after they COMPLETELY discounted my post like I was a moron. No hard feelings in my case though:)

Comment

Im just curious..what doe Ghettocooled in ya sig mean?

Comment

Cold air cooling. I have a $100US airconditioning unit as a casefan and a semidecent copperheatpipe HS/60mm 7000rpm fan. CPU temps are about 20C at 2.01v;)

Comment

Originally posted by climbski
              Alot depends on whether you run your system overclocked or not. If you are running stock 133 or 166 FSB then Dual channel can make upwards of 50% or more bandwidth. This is significant:eek: Unfortunately if you are OCing then at 200fsb (maybe lower) it only makes 2% to 6% difference. The Increased performance of running 200FSB or better more than makes up for the difference in loss of DC advantage. 2% to 6% difference IS a difference and closly approximates the cost increase for DC so that is a wash when OCing. There is no reason not to use DC except that it often limits your top OC fsb. It is definately excellent when running your sytem near or at stock speeds on all but two of AMD current CPUs.
              So for someone like me, who doesn't OC, it does make a reasonable difference... :) Nice to see you guys back again.

Comment

Cold air cooling. I have a 0US airconditioning unit as a casefan and a semidecent copperheatpipe HS/60mm 7000rpm fan. CPU temps are about 20C at 2.01v;)
                LMAO Thats awesome :thumb: *Off to buy an AC ;)*

Comment

CAUTION!!! I live in an area with nearly no dewpoint. If you live in a humid environment you may fry your comp:thumbs do

Comment

im not really gonna go get one, and as a MAtterof fact I live in a humid area, during the summer it is. (INdiana)

Comment

CAUTION!!! I live in an area with nearly no dewpoint. If you live in a humid environment you may fry your comp:thumbs do
                      What'd ya tell him that for? If he fried his PC then he wouldn't be able to post anymore... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                        What'd ya tell him that for? If he fried his PC then he wouldn't be able to post anymore... ;)
                        Thats what my backup rig is for :p
                        :cheers:

Comment

Yeah. Climbski lives in reno, NV where the dew point is probably well below freezing. I tried using an a/c up here in RI where the dew point is usually in the 60's in the fall and got a bit of condensation buildup after 30 seconds. Definitely not a good thing.

As far as the difference in performance gains between 166/200/227fsb, that was going to be my next test. Would it be 2.7% all the way around, or 15% at 166, 2.7% at 200, and 1.5% at 227?

Unfortunately my system just isn't stable in single channel. I get random lockups at 217fsb with my PC3500 in single channel but can run 235ish in dual channel without a hitch. Go figure.

Comment

My NF7-S manual states that supported memory is:

3 DIMMs DDR200/266/333 (max 3GB)
                            2 DIMMs DDR400 (max 2GB)

Is this really correct? Anyone tried running three DDR400 modules?

CtrlAltDel

Comment

I know of someone who runs 3 modules of 3500...

Comment

I've noticed with a fair few of the original nForce2 boards that they have limits on what DDR400 they support, both chip types and quantities, but I thought they had fixed this up with the newer chipset.. :confused:

Comment

Working...
                                X