Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soulburner
    http://www.ocaddiction.com/forums/sh...651#post147651

Pretty drastic and noticeable difference huh.....*****es.
    Damn soulburner, it seems like you and Climbski are going by one single sites reviews, oddly enough, a site that you both regular. I have to say that your BIASED towards their opinion

Comment

Sovereignty,
      Thank you for your well worded response to what has obviously been a heated issue within this thread. If you are indeed the author of the above linked tests, I commend you. Well researched and documented. I have also seen similar tests, and they agree with your results. However, I don't think the issue at hand is whether or not one person considers 2-5% gain substantial or not. That is purely a matter of opinion, though it does confirm that there IS a performance gain using Dual-Channel capabilities of nForce2 motherboards. Your opinion is that it is NOT signifigant, while others here DO consider it signifigant. The real issue is some contributors lack of respect in their posts. If one desires to make a correction, or give an informed opinion, it is not necessary to denigrate the opposing view in a childish manner. I'd like to add that NONE of Soulburner's or Climbski's posts answered the original topic question of the thread.

Comment

The original question was in fact if running 3 sticks of ram in single channel would be much worse than using two in dual channel, so I think this still relates. Also the whole thread eventually turned in to just how significant the difference is. I would've liked to have run some more tests but I didn't have any other good ones installed, and it was 3 a.m. :)

amd_man2003: Did you even read that post? That was made by me and had nothing to do with ocaddiction other than the fact it was posted on that forum. I ran these tests under identical conditions so I don't see how they can possibly be biased one way or the other. I'd prefer if you actually read what I wrote before you call it biased. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
          I think this has been discussed, but I did not come away with a clear cut answer, so here goes.

Compare a nForce2 mobo with (2) Crucial 256 MB sticks (in Dual Channel mode)

versus

An nForce2 mobo with (2) Crucial 256 MB sticks (in Dual Channel mode) AND (1) more 256 MB stick.

Assuming all ram is same speed, size, brand, timings, etc.

First Question: Is the effectivness of the Dual Channel lost? If it is not lost completely, how is it affected?
          I wish someone would read this clearly. To me this is a simple question of whether 3 sticks of the same RAM will still run in Dual-Channel mode. I can't confirm this, but the answer is no, not if they're all the same. My manual states that it IS possible to preserve DC capability, but the channels must have the same speed and capacity. In other words, 512MB in one stick on one channel, and 2 sticks of 256MB on the second channel will work, given all other things are the same. This is only on one specific motherboard! I posted what my manuals stated to clarify that it depends on the specific motherboard. The question of whether or not single or dual channel was superior wasn't asked, but was offered as a rather harsh opinion.

Comment

Soulburner,

I certainly don't know what your problem is, but I can only hope that you one day find it within yourself to try to be something more than a fool. Your comments and hostile attitude are childish and it is rather boring. I can understand an occassional gibe or something, but you go well beyond what most folks will see as sociably acceptable. I ask you one time only to be sociable with members of our community. Your choices are to do so or not come back, it is that simple. We have a group of users here who find it nice to have a place to call home and find answers to questions. If you disagree with an opinion, so be it; but don't go out of your way to use it as an excuse to belittle folks. That type of posting will not be tolerated.

Sovereignty,

Thanks for your comments and testing (and also your mature manner of reporting your findings). While you feel that 5% or so increase in performance is not significant, I tend to feel that any reasonable performance gain is significant. But since data goes from the HDD to RAM before being sent off for use by the processor, I have seen performance gains that go beyond synthetic tests. Load times have lowered when it comes to large programs. Just something else to consider.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Another note:

On the NF7, you can run 3x256mb sticks and still have it in dual channel. A member over at OCA has 3x256 corsair sticks at 232 running in dual channel so it definitely does still work. Might be different on other boards though.

Darth: I agree that 500 points in 3dm01 is significant for benchmarks, but not for real-world. I'll have to see if I can get spec viewperf or maybe do some media encoding, etc, and see if the gains are any higher in non-synthetic uses.

Comment

Darthtanion, you are asking me to be "sociable", when many of the regular members (and possibly some admins) have been hostile toward me first? I don't think so. I think I have an excuse to get upset. If you want me to calm down, ask the asses on this forum to stop attacking me. When I post something, I don't pull it outta my ass, despite what they think. I come in a civil manner to talk about computers, but when I am flamed for posting either A) My Opinion, B) My Advice, or C) Factful, helpful information for someone asking a question on the board, I think I have the right to get upset. I didn't come here for that.

Then on top of that, I get flamed over getting upset. What the hell do you expect? Then I get this stupid ****ing title (what the hell is that about? That is just plain uncalled for and I ask it be removed). This isn't directed toward you personally, but to the people who have taken shots at me on this board for stupid reasons. I didn't start this.

If you want civil, that can be done. BUT, it needs to go both ways.

Comment

Soulburner We do act civil towards you, but you repeatedly go on, dragging threads (this one) from the dead, to prove somthing you have no idea about, Then you say Wiggo has not much rrom to talk about being a Smacktard, and well, IMHO its frowned upon to call an Admin a smacktard, And, there has been instances in other threads where you have been warned, So if ya look on both sides, you will see you earned it, But if ya clean up your act, Itll most likely be removed eventually

Comment

S.P.A.M. Nominee and Forum Smacktard titles are not handed out carelessly, if you have been branded with such a title then you earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                      S.P.A.M. Nominee and Forum Smacktard titles are not handed out carelessly, if you have been branded with such a title then you earned it.
                      So be it....I was civil, but its sad to see some people cannot see things on the same level.:rolleyes2 Some people really need to pull their heads out of you-know-where and end the childish crap, it's getting REALLY old.

There have even been a few people to back up my statements, (not just this thread) yet it doesn't seem to change anything, some people are just too hard headed to see the truth and accept it. There is a lot of misinformation floating around here, and when I try to straighten it out, I get flamed and rejected. What a bunch of ****ing hippocrits. When I want to go somewhere to talk and learn about computers, I'll go elsewhere, cuz I certainly won't find it here. Sorry to rain on your parade and post this in here, but I don't care anymore.

I'm not normally like this, but there are other guilty parties. I think a few more "nominees" should be in order.

Comment

Alright, this is enough of this crap. You clearly don't get the point. If you are so unhappy here, then why do you stay?

Comment

OK, after actually reading over this thread, I'm actually gonna re-open it (as long as everyone keeps calm...).

Now I'm definitely no expert when it comes to overclocking or technical stuff about hardware, but I know what I see when I use my computer... I originally ran my PC from 1 stick of RAM (Soltek nForce2 MB) until my Twin Corsair stuff turned up. I didn't change timings, I wasn't overclocking, but I did notice a performance increase when running dual channel. I don't totally rely on benchmarks to verify performance. As long as I can notice a change, then I'm happy.

When I went from single to dual, everything just seemed quicker. The little blue bar at the start of Windows didn't do as many laps, the welcome screen now flashes up then off again. I never benchmarked the differences between the two, and didn't really care.

Now I'm definitely not saying that the benchmarks are false, but I'm less inclined to believe them if they only say a 2.5% difference when I can see things happening quicker...

However, all in all, there's no point bickering about this... Can we get some decent ideas as to why people believe what they do?

Comment

Yeah, despite the bickering this has been a good thread. The original question was answered, and I personally find it quite interesting that certain motherboards can possibly run in DC mode with 3 identical sticks of RAM. At one point when one of my machines was down, I ran a third stick of Corsair PC3500 XMS on my A7N8X....I didn't do benchies, but it didn't seem to make much difference one way or another. When I have some time, I'll do my own tests....just out of curiosity. :cheers:

Comment

OK, I just had a little hunt around, and found a couple single vs dual benchmarks. The best one was on the following page - http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...-1vs2channels/

Right down the bottom of the page is a very handy little table that shows the percentage increase with dual channel memory. Now it shows that while a lot of things don't have that much of a performance increase, some things actually do make a decent difference (ignoring the IGP part of the table).

Then again, how many of these tests really do push memory to it's limits?

Comment

I'm a multi-taskin' addict runnin' with at least SETI@home, WinAMP, Trillian, 3 or 4 IE windows, PSP, calculator plus whatever else happens to be needed doin' at the time (rippin', burnin', gamin', etc) but with only one channel operatin' all this becomes a chore in waitin' due to slowness though with both channels in operation everything runs quickly and smoothly. Benchtests are all very good to give ppl an idea on a startin' point but real world usage is what really talks to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X