Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industry Welcomes Volume Shipment of VIA Apollo KT600 Chipse

For Immediate Release

Industry Welcomes Volume Shipment of VIA Apollo KT600 Chipset, Unveils Wide Spectrum of Performance Motherboards

Leading motherboard vendors line up to take advantage of the KT600’s synchronized 400MHz FSB and FastStream64 DDR400 memory controller, and the world’s first native Serial ATA/RAID solution for the AMD Athlon XP processor platform

Taipei, Taiwan, 18 June 2003 - VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator and developer of silicon chip technologies and PC platform solutions, today announced the availability of the VIA Apollo KT600 chipset, set to become the first choice chipset in the market for ultimate performance AMD Athlon™ XP compatible motherboards. The world’s first Socket A platform chipset with a native integrated Serial ATA/RAID controller, the KT600 boasts a balanced configuration of 400MHz FSB support for the new Athlon XP processor 3200+ with VIA’s FastStream64 DDR400 memory controller technology, as well as advanced connectivity features and VIA Vinyl Audio support.

To date, VIA KT600 chipset based performance motherboard designs have been confirmed by around 20 manufacturers representing more than 90% of the global market for AMD compatible motherboards, including ABIT, Acorp, Albatron, Aopen, Asus, Azza, Biostar, Chaintech, DFI, ECS, Epox, FIC, Gigabyte, Jetway, MSI, Shuttle, Soltek, Soyo and QDI.

“The huge choice of KT600 based solutions to be launched into the marketplace reflects the popularity and demand in the marketplace for KT Series mainboards,” commented Richard Brown, Associate Vice President of Marketing, VIA Technologies, Inc. “The VIA Apollo KT600 coupled with the VIA VT8237 continues VIA’s fine tradition of offering the premier performance and most feature-rich chipset solution for the AMD Athlon XP processor platform.”

“MSI’s new KT600-based KT6 Delta and the AMD Athlon XP processor 3200+ with 400 FSB are a powerful combination that enables the highest level of performance possible on gaming and multimedia applications,” said Charles Chiang, Vice President of R&D, MSI.

“VIA’s V-MAP architecture has allowed us to bring our KT600 solution to market in record time,” said David Chiang, General Manager of Channel Business, Gigabyte Technology. “Our superior time-to-market with the latest technologies has been a major factor in the success of our VIA line of AMD mainboards.”

“The VIA Apollo KT600 is the latest in a series of performance chipsets from VIA that have been successfully implemented in our Socket A motherboard range,” said Mike Chou, Senior Vice President, ECS. “ECS’ KT600-A+ motherboard provides a combination of performance and stability that allows our customers to get the best from their AMD Athlon XP processor based systems.”

About the VIA Apollo KT600

Combining support for the new generation of AMD Athlon XP processors with 400FSB with its advanced FastStream64™ DDR400 Memory Controller technology and support for AGP 8X and VIA Vinyl™ Six-TRAC Audio, as well as the unique VIA DriveStation™ Serial ATA/RAID controller suite, the VIA Apollo KT600 provides the highest performance and most feature-rich platform for the complete spectrum of gaming, home productivity and entertainment, and business applications.

Based on VIA’s unique V-MAP (VIA Modular Architecture Platform) architecture that facilitates faster product development and speeds time to market, the VIA Apollo KT600 North Bridge is connected to the new VIA VT8237 South Bridge via the 8X V-Link high-speed throughput bus running at 533MB/s.

Featuring the new VIA DriveStation controller suite, the VIA VT8237 enables multiple drive connectivity options and native support for Serial ATA and Serial RAID, alongside more traditional South Bridge functions such as IDE and PCI. In addition, the VT8237 delivers exceptional surround sound capabilities through its support for VIA Vinyl™ Six-TRAC and market-leading 8-channel VIA Vinyl Gold Audio, and also offers a host of high-bandwidth connectivity options, including support for up to eight high-speed USB 2.0 ports and 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet. The KT600 also benefits from the advanced unified VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 driver set, delivering seamless compatibility with the latest software and hardware.

Further information on the VIA Apollo KT600 chipset is available on the VIA website at:

www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/kt600.jsp.

About VIA Technologies, Inc.

VIA Technologies, Inc. is the foremost fabless supplier of market-leading core logic chipsets, low power x86 processors, advanced connectivity, multimedia, networking and storage silicon, and complete platform solutions that are driving system innovation in the PC and embedded markets. Headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan, VIA’s global network links the high tech centers of the US, Europe and Asia, and its customer base includes the world’s top OEMs, motherboard vendors and system integrators. VIA is listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange (TSE2388) and achieved annual revenues of over US$720 million in 2002. www.via.com.tw
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I certainly don't have anything against VIA and their chipsets, but the questions that just has to be asked is:

Do we just sit back and wait for the KT600A?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Ya I would hate to be one of those poor souls who bought the KT400A.. but then again who would of with the nForce2 around?

My main question is, within all of those specs, I didnt notice anything about Dual channel DDR.. Is that what the FastStream64 is?

Comment

FastStream64 is the name of the new memory controller that debuted with the KT400A. ;)

I'm not holdin' my breath with VIA though as I'm stickin' with the nForce2.

Comment

in my personal systems i am sticking to nForce 2 for my AMD systems. I will fortunatly have the benifit of experience when it will come to KT600. It will take a bit of effort from VIA, SiS or ALi to move me from the nForce 2 Ultra at the moment, as its serving my purposes without any problems at all

If KT600 can deliver good performance i will definatly consider a change, at this stage though, nForce 2 for me

Comment

Ok here's something to consider, atm VIA chipsets require the memory to run faster than the FSB to deliver adequate performance but the nForce2 chipset has shown that double the memory bandwidth at FSB speeds is more than enough to stop hardware DMA access from impacting on CPU performance (cuttin' the CPU's access to memory bandwidth so that hardware can have it's fair share, the video card bein' the main culprit).

Comment

Working...
            X