Car Audio Situation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Audio Situation...

Ok, i am not sure if this is in the right section but it does have to do with Audio...Car audio that is...

Ok, here goes...Last night i ordered online 2 pairs of speaker at 50 watts RMS and 200 Peak from Alpine. I also bought a Rockford Fosgate amp...the amp is rated at 62.5x 4 @4 ohms. That is 12.5 more than what the speaker are rated. BUT this is the dilemma...that 62.5 W per channel is under a 14.4 Volts. I own a Honda Civic 2000 and i believe my car is 12V...but some dude that knows somewhat about this said that no 12V is when it of an it jumps up to 1.5 or 14V when the car is on. My buddy said thats not true that your voltage does jump but not by that much.

So...umm...does any one know anything about this. I spent some nice cash on these bad boys and really don't want to blow them...The reason why i bought that amp was because i thought the Wattage per channel will lower since the voltage decreases.

Thx for any helps given..:)
    - Damien

It's been years (15+) since I worked on cars for a living but it seems to me that most of the charging systems run around 13.5 volts. The make and model of your car should not matter when dealing with a car sound system ... unless of course you are installing it in a pre 60's car with a 6v system.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

thx man..thats all i needed...i don't think 12.5 watts more could hurt ...i have heard too much low power will over heat you sppeaker's voice coil and produce failure..aka blown speaker..
      - Damien

Comment

It sounds like it will work fine. The 14.4V is what is delivered out of the alternator when the car is on, yes. And you will only get 12V when its off, yes. Theres no problem there thou. The speakers are made for that power setup. The 12.5 (theoretic) extra watts coming from the amp the to speakers isnt enough to blow them as the limit is 200, and the RMS is 50. You more or less hit the power requirements on the nose. Set it up and, as with any system, play lots of different LOUD music to break them in. Be careful to listen for distortion thou, and know what your limits are.

Comment

Thx JA..:)

:):):):)
          - Damien

Comment

Ya know just lately I've been thinkin' about a car sound system and the thought of gettin' a dual 250w 12" Woofer drivers plus 6 200w 3way's and a few amps then ....

pluggin' the lot into my new workshop PC and bench power supply. :D
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Sure glad I don't live next door to you Wiggo! LOL. I'm using a 300 watt JVC home system as my sub and center (4 overgrown desktops for the rest) and the neigbours don't always appreciate that. If one of my neighbors had a system like you describe I might not be able to hear mine!!
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Comment

Can ya imagin the sound in here? :?:

Comment

Would prolly sound like an echo chamber ... might be interesting for the cave ambience sounds....

Must be nice to have a shop the size of that one. Looks like I could keep the snow off my car and still have lots of room for the woodworking tools! Of course it would need some insulation...

Comment

That would make a great acoustic room with a few mods to it...great for a pianoforte...hmm :thumb:
                    - Damien

Comment

I like the idea of putting a 18" Cerwin Vega Stroker in a sealed box right in the midddle... sure your gonna need a minimum of 1500W to power it, more like 2250W to get the full effect... but you get the idea...

Comment

13' JL audio own too!
                        - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by [size=7
                          PrairieDawg[/size]]
                          Would prolly sound like an echo chamber ... might be interesting for the cave ambience sounds....

Must be nice to have a shop the size of that one. Looks like I could keep the snow off my car and still have lots of room for the woodworking tools! Of course it would need some insulation...
                          That garage/shed measures 7m x 30m (approx 23' x 97') and can accommodate 4 LWB F150's in it and that elevated workshop is about 18' deep as well. But I'll be buildin' an insulated room along one side of the garage area though for brewin' and clean workroom areas plus shower and toilet facilities though that shold still leave me enough room the park the stationwagon and large trailer with room left over. :D

Comment

Nice sized garage! The heating bill on something that size during the winter here would almost put me in the poor house. Would be nice to have that kind of space to work with though.

Comment

No heating (except for the ones that I ready have in the brew kits) which is the reason for buildin' the insulated and lined rooms into it. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X