Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio driver Problem-ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i - FX-777A-ZNF4

Audio driver Problem
    I added a new AMD videocard and installed the AMDCatalyst Install Manager.<o:p></o:p>
    I Did Not install the VIA Audio drivers when I installed themotherboard drivers and the sound worked fine .<o:p></o:p>
    Until I installed the new AMDdrivers which over-wrote the standard MS drivers as it turned out.<o:p></o:p>
    The motherboard is a ASUSSABERTOOTH 55i LGA 1156 back on 7/28/2010<o:p></o:p>
    Reaktek 8112L is the LANChipset per motherboard illustration. Page 2.2.1
    VIA VT2020 is the Audio Chipset.<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_55i/HelpDesk_Download/<o:p></o:p>
    AUDIO (3)<o:p></o:p>
    VIAAudio Driver V6.0.1.7500 for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista &Windows 7.(WHQL)<o:p></o:p>
    50.02 Mbytes2009/12/22<o:p></o:p>
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/VIA_Audio_V6017500_WinXPVistaWin7.zip<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    VIAVT1828S & VT2020 Audio Driver V6.0.1.7300a for Windows 32/64bit XP &32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)<o:p></o:p>
    33.67Mbytes 2009/09/07<o:p></o:p>
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/VT1828SVT2020_Audio_V6017300a_XPVistaWin7.zip<o:p></o:p>
    VIAVT1828S & VT2020 Audio Driver V6.0.1.7300 for Windows 32/64bit XP &32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit Windows 7.(WHQL)<o:p></o:p>
    47.08Mbytes 2009/08/28<o:p></o:p>
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/VT1828SVT2020_Audio_V6017300_XPVistaWin7.zip<o:p></o:p>
    The video cardis:XFX COREEdition FX-777A-ZNF4<o:p></o:p>
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150598<o:p></o:p>
    1 xHDMI<o:p></o:p>
    1 x DisplayPort<o:p></o:p>
    2 x DVi (1 Single Link, 1 DualLink)<o:p></o:p>
    January ‎11, ‎2014<o:p></o:p>
    I used thefollowing software:<o:p></o:p>
    The driver for this device is:<o:p></o:p>
    13-12_win7_win8_3 2_dd_ccc_whql. exe<o:p></o:p>
    Size: 223 MB (234.165.992bytes)<o:p></o:p>
    Size on disk: 224 MB (234.5S7.040 bytes)<o:p></o:p>
    Contains: 420 Files. 85 Folders<o:p></o:p>
    AMD CatalystInstall ManagerAdvanced MicroDevices, Inc.1/11/201420.8 MB8.0.915.0<o:p></o:p>
    The problemwas that I used Express instead of Custom and installed the AMD HDMI Audio Driver<o:p></o:p>
    7.12.0.7717. I was thinking about usingthe HDMI cable at the time.<o:p></o:p>
    How do I getback the standard MS drivers for audio ?<o:p></o:p>

Re: Audio driver Problem-ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i - FX-777A-ZNF4

Normally a video card has its own audio source as well. Are you sure that the VIA audio chip has the AMD audio driver installed for it, rather than the default audio device was just changed to the AMD video card source? What is selected as the default audio device in the Windows Sound option?

Otherwise...

If you know what the VIA audio device is called in Device Manager, in Sound, video and game controllers, you can do a manual driver update.

Open the Properties for the VIA audio chip, click the Driver tab, and click the Update Driver button.

Choose the Browse my computer... entry, and then the Let me pick from a list... entry. You should see the Microsoft driver listed, or among the list of entries. Select it and follow the prompts to complete the update.

Comment

I went to : Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Sound.
      I plugged in my 2.1 speaker system.
      Under the Playback tab it shows:
      Speakers
      High Definition Audio Device
      Default Device (With Green Circle and white checkmark appeared)
      At the bottom there is a Configure button. Clicked on it. (To the right is a Properties button.)
      Now I am at Speaker Setup box.
      Choose your configuration
      Select the speaker setup below that is most like
      the configuration on your computer.
      Chose: Stereo
      Click on Test button and no sound from either speaker.
      Go back to Sound>Playback Tab>Highlight Speakers>
      Clicked on Properties button
      Now in Speakers Properties Box
      I Noticed an Icon with red circle.
      Clicked on circle and now I have sound out of the two speakers
      But not out of my woofer.

Should I install the VIA Audio Driver V6.0.1.7500 for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows 7.(WHQL) ?

Comment

Although you have a 2.1 system, select the configure button again and select the first 5.1 Surround entry to see if your subwoofer will start working.

Before you installed the AMD driver, did you have a 2.1 entry in the Configure Speaker Setup window?

So you did not try to do the update driver procedure?

No problem installing the VIA driver if you think that would help.

Comment

The generic Microsoft driver does not show any subwoofer under 2.1 but I selected 5.1 and now the woofer is working.
          When I first installed the motherboard I installed the VIA HD AUDIO PACKAGE on the CD but I did not like it as well as other board’s Realtek HD audio. To me it was clunky and bloated. I had uninstalled it and rolled back the driver to the MS HD audio driver.

So I did not try to do the update driver procedure.

It was that one setting above that changed when I installed the new video card drivers..

In Device Manager> Sound, video and game controllers
          There are 2 entries:
          1. AMD High Definition Audio Device (New)

2. High Definition Audio Device (Original)
          High Definition Audio Device Properties
          High Definition Audio Device
          Driver Provider: Microsoft
          Driver Date: 11/19/2010
          Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514
          Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

The 1st is the one for the AMD HDMI drivers.
          The 2nd is for the generic MS drivers for analog speakers.
          Both said : “This device is working properly” even when the analog speakers had no sound output after installing the AMD HDMI drivers .
          Lesson learned.

parsec, Thank you for the insight.

Comment

Good, glad that worked for you.

PC audio can be a bit tricky because of the potential for multiple audio devices, and you must select the one you want to use in Windows. If the audio device that is selected by default (for whatever reason) is not the one you expect, you won't have any sound. Also, the audio from a video card may be available only through a cable connected to the video card, like an HDMI cable.

I suggested the manual update so you could use the Microsoft audio driver, it should have been listed as a choice in the driver list. But at that point in the thread it did not seem that you had two audio devices. I figured you should have at least two, and as you discovered, you did.

I understand about the VIA driver, or really its interface software being poor. The RealTek driver and software for their "fancy" 1150 audio chip on my boards has some of the most ridiculous options I've ever seen. Like sound effect sources that sound like being in a tunnel, or a garbage can... those were actual selections you could choose. Incredibly stupid and childish, and like you I did not install their silly software again.

On newer Intel boards, if you use a graphics card, you'll have three audio devices: One from the graphics card, the second from the board's audio chip (VIA on your board), and third an Intel audio device supplied with the chipset for use with the on-CPU video.

Comment

Working...
            X