Flat panel monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat panel monitors

I was considering buying a new flat panel monitor, but a friend said to be careful. The wire connection from the flat panel is different from the CRT monitors and that I may not have the right connection on the back of my new Dell 5150 computer to accept the monitor plug. Was he just busting me, or are the connections different from the older CRT monitors ? Thanks in sdvance.

Re: Flat panel monitors

When it comes to LCD monitors, there are two varieties; digital and analog. Some monitors accept both input methods, some are only manufactured to accept one or the other. The analog port is the standard 15-pin D-Sub type port that a normal monitor hooks into. The digital port, also called DVI, is a taller port and is generally white on the inside. A simple Google search will show you photos of either type, or you can hit up the Dell site and see what the PC will work with. If it won't do digital, then just make sure that the monitor you choose can handle the analog input from the PC.

Oh... and if you find that your PC will do digital, be forewarned that many manufacturers do not include a digital cable with the monitor. In this case, you'll be looking at about another $50 or so to buy a digital cable.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Darthtanion, thanks for the reply. Another question, please. Would the picture on a flat panel monitor that was getting its input digitally, be superior to one that is getting its signal from the old fashion analog connection ? Thanks, Mike

Comment

Yes, the digital output will give a crisper image, but the analog is still very good. I have a few machines at work running an analog display on LCD and they're very workable.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X