Poor Frame Rate After Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Frame Rate After Upgrades

I just recently upgraded my son's computer. For general computing everything seems okay, but there is a substantial FPS loss in both of the first two games he played.

This is what came out and what replaced it:

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Motherboard was replaced by a Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H Motherboard
    Intel i7 2700k was replaced by an Intel i7 4790k Processor
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600 was replaced by Kingston Fury 16 GB DDR3 1866

Hopefully this post will list my configuration on file automatically. If not, I will add it after the post.

The switch out went without incident and I was pleasantly surprised by how well the new hardware was recognized and accepted. This might have been in part because I formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Professional and then installed the Gigabyte drivers and utilities. Temperatures were right in line with pre-upgrade temps and every reading in CPUID/ Core Temp, Hw Monitor, Hw Info, MSI Afterburner,etc. showed normal temps and normal amounts of system resources used for each test I performed. The Windows Experience Score also reflected straight 7.9's across the board.

I was completely blindsided when my son re-downloaded his main game, APB Reloaded. He has played this game for years and knows the game settings by heart. He also knows that his FPS with very high settings sat right around 100. He starts up his game and the FPS bounced a bit between 24 and 37. He double checked all the game settings and they were exactly as before he upgraded. He even lowered the resolution and other video settings, resulting in little to no improvement in frame rate. He then re-downloaded COD Black Ops 3, which was the game that we felt needed this upgrade most. We felt that we had a slight bottleneck at the CPU, not proven, and that if we went to 16 GB of memory and went to this much higher rated CPU, he might get considerably better frame rate. His video card did not seem to need upgrading at this tome (Gigabyte GTX 770 4 GB). Prior to the upgrade he got 30 fps on high settings in Black Ops 3, which was sluggish and he was able to get it up to about 55-60 fps with medium or low-medium settings. After the upgrade Black Ops 3 is almost unplayable.

Before writing this post I used his computer for about an hour. I played Left 4 Dead 2, which although better than the two aforementioned games, it still had multiple momentary freezes, which never happened before.

I have been reading all kinds of stuff about Affinity settings, playing with the hyper threading, unparking cpu cores, flashing the bios, and many other suggestions, none of which I have tried to this point.

I want to believe that this is some kind of driver or configuration issue, not only because that would be less painful to remedy, but it seems from my semi-educated vantage point, that if none of the hardware is running hot, the speeds appear to be where they should be and the cpu usage and memory usage while gaming are nowhere near being taxed, that's where I would think to look first. The cores don't reach 60 degrees, the graphics card doesn't go above 55 degrees, (I have afterburner set to increase fan speed incrementally based on temps). So, I guess what I am saying is that there is no obvious cause from my vantage point and I really need somebody to steer me in the right direction so we can get back at least to where we were before these upgrades.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!

Rick (Goosegas)

CPU: Intel i7 4790k
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
    Cooling: Asetek 150L Liquid Cooler
    RAM: Kingston Fury DDR3 16 GB 1866
    Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 770 4 GB
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB
    HDD: Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM
    Case: Coolermaster HAF-X
    PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
    Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate
    Mouse: Logitech GX9
    Monitors: Monoprice 30 Inch 16:10 2560 x 1600 Res. & Hanns G 28 Inch 16:10 1920 x 1200 Res.
    Opt. Drive: LG BD ROM / DVD Writer
    Last edited by Goosegas; 01-09-2016, 11:38 PM.
Working...
X