Power supply problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply problem.

Recently i purchased a new computer and it came with an Orion 420 watt p/s. When i hit the power button on my case the comp fired up no problem. After i shutdown windows the system powered off normally and all was well. Later that day i hit the power button to turn on my comp again and nothing happend. The only way i could get the computer to fire back up was to reach behind the comp, unplug the power cord from the power supply then plug it back in. After that i hit the power button and the comp fired up no problem. Wanting to get a better p/s anyway i went out and purchased an Antec Smartpower 500 watt. I hooked it up, hit the power button and the comp fired up as ussual. I then shut down the computer to test it and then hit the power button to turn the computer back on again. Nothing happend.

So i reached behind my comp, unpluged the cord from the p/s and plugged it back into the comp. Hit the power button and comp fired up no problem. I have tried unplugging the cord from my surge protector and back in just to see if that was the problem but it wasn't. So basically anytime i want to turn on my comp i have to unplug it then plug it back in again. Anyone got any ideas on what is causing this ?

Athlon 64 3000+ (939)
    Asus A8N5X mobo
    Corsair XMS DDR400 (2 x 512)
    Evga Geforce 7800 GT
    SB Audigy 2 Zs Platinum
    WD 160Gb SATA
    Antec 500 watt p/s

P.S. When the comp is on and running it runs like a champ. Just gets old to have to unplug it and plug it back in everytime i want to turn it on.
    Last edited by FartyMcCrabLice; 10-30-2005, 09:28 AM.

Re: Power supply problem.

Hi FartyMcCrabLice

same problem with my computer

Asus A8N5X
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    and other stuff........

i was searching for weeks - no result.
    But it doesn't depend on the powersupply - i've replaced it with another type
    --> no result.

Every USB Device (HDD, Cardreader, mouse) ist running
    To get the computer up again --> unplug the power (wait 3 sec for the elkos) then i'm able to turn on the pc via ATX PowerON Button

Within the bios configuration i've found nothing about "Wake on USB - bull****" whatever.....

Comment

Sounds to me like the PWR Switch connect for the front panel is either put on the motherboard incorrectly or the case is possibly wired incorrectly. What cases do you guys have?

Comment

it cannot be the case; i was running a KT3 Ultra VIA KT333A Board for 2 Years without that problems. By the way the ATX Power Button is connected correctly - i'm able to power on (but only if i cut the mainpower for a while). The ATX Power Button also works during operations --> OS will shutting down

But the behavior in "power off mode ist very strange:

Maybe it depends on the new(or not who knows) ATX+ Power Plug system itself (24PIN instead of 20 like other "normal" ATX). It seems to be that the 12V extra PowerPlug for the mainboard is connected directly to the peripherial voltage regulator and has always power so the USB interface chips as well - i forgot LAN as well too (Link LED ist alway blinking) - But every WAKE ON... option is deactivated in the BIOS.

I'm interesting if other has the same problems only with an 24pin ATX Power Supply + extra 12V connector, or only with the mainboard A8N5X

Comment

Hey, I thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I started having this situation with my brand new computer after we got my PSU problem straightened out. Everything was brand new on the system except for a DVD-RW that I got free from a friend. The DVD-RW actually crapped out, and died, and now I'm not having the problem anymore. The techs think there was a short in the drive causing it, don't know if that was it or not but it works without the drive in it, and the drive doesn't work in other machines.

Are you guys using older drives as well?

Comment

Working...
          X