Linking 2 power supplies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking 2 power supplies!

Ive found an article on how to link 2 power supplies to get power and i would want to know if it would help me!

I can get an used 200W power supply (from a old 486 or something!) for almost nothing! :laugh:

I have a 250W power supply that came with my aopen case and my 1800+ is overclocked at 1880mhz (2300+) and it reboots sometimes, i want to know if linking 2 psu would help... one only fot motherboard ant the other one for cd, floppy, fans, HDD.

Should i link the 12 volts or separate both power supplies??
    :shrug:

Thanks for the advice guys!
    :thumb:

post the link so we can get all the details.

Comment

http://www.pc-mod.com/articles/atx/

if you guys find a better site or method give me details please!

THX all!

Comment

since the 200 is an AT psu, you could just run that to power the drives.

BTW if you read the same article that i did, they were talking about joining 2 atx psus.

Comment

Yep the article is for 2 atx power suplies, i can get at or atx used power supplies, what you recommant me??

I really dont want to screw up... not enouph money to make a mistake!!:smokin:

Comment

if it were me doing this, then i wouldnt link them, but do what "Kane2g" said, and just run the drives fans etc off the AT psu, and just the motherboard off the ATX.

Comment

um, just to clarify. AT psu has a power switch so it doesnt need to be connected to a motherboard to be turned on/off.

The reason why they join 2 psus together is because they;re atx, hence need to be connected. if you got AT youre a step ahead.

hope this makes sense now.
              :2cents:

Comment

Wow thanks Kane2g!!! Didnt know that at had a switch in the back, this will be easy!!!

Ill try this and tell you how it works!

THX for all!!

Comment

You will need to ground the "Good Power" wire on the AT PSU (which is the number 1 wire which should be orange) to one of the black ground wires for the PSU to operate (both are on the P8 mobo connection).

Comment

You say i HAVE TO link the ground to have a common ground on both power supplies?

Anyone have a page i can go take a look to see how to do ???

Comment

Maybe ya should read my last post again very carefully but if the AT PSU doesn't get the ok from the "Good Power" wire then it will shut down before ya realised that it powered up. I didn't say anything about linkin' both PSU's. :rolleyes2

Comment

Well that depends on PSU wiggo. I power on mine all the time without any problems.
                        But you're right if that specific PSU has a power good wire that works. :)

Comment

as cheap as psu's are i'd just get one that is big enough, then there would be no worries.

Comment

"Link wire 15 (black) on both psu's together, line 15 is ground and to run dual psu's you need a common ground"
                            That is very important, although when putting together an ATX and AT psu, you can just use the 4pin molex connector to connect the 2 black wires form one psu to the other.

Comment

Wait a sec... connecting an atx and an at power supplie with the 4 pin molex will not also give me a common ground but also a common +5v and +12v, those voltage that are in the molex?

Am i right?? :confused:

I have a good base in electricity but i dont know if this will be good for the power supplies(linking them only by the 4 pin molex connector)

THX again for your help!!! :cheers: :D

Comment

Working...
                              X