No announcement yet.

Yes or No to pop-under advertising (cookie security discussi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure a couple on that list are restricted on this system, but it doesn't interfere with the content of TweakTown in any way.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I do have 12 listin' in the restricted sites though but after some free time to thoroughly examine a certain program linked above I'll make that list longer. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

12:?:
        That doesn't begin to touch the nasties out there running loose!

Maybe I should just post a .reg file ---hmmm :?:

I dare say, a certain previously mentioned program will be the one examining you :laugh:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Even just a .txt file will do just to copy and paste. ;)

Comment

10 years of being online and ive never had to use the trusted domain box. Shouldnt have to either.

Im just being stubborn. I believe ive been around long enough. :)

Comment

I can appreciate that point of view -- it's all about freedom of choice:thumb:

You are certainly entitled to use any method you like - or even to fully enjoy the advertisement just as the advertisers hoped you would.

I would not be so bold as to tell anyone what they must do to thier system, these are only suggestions that I'm making.

Comment

Actually Mr. C I would really aperciate either a text file or just posted of trusted and restricted sites.

Also, I never had cookies disabled. Was excepting all of them. Was getting multiple pop ups. I only had one window opened pointed at TT, a pop up opened then I clicked a link and a second one opened. I now have 2 pops open.

They are:
                Cheep Tickets
                Access You PC from Anywhere!

Comment

Mr. C, when I was wondering why I didn't have TT on my trusted list and when I tried, I remembered why. It gives me a box saying the only addresses with "https://" are accepted and since TT has a "http://" adress, it won't let me add. Any ideas?:confused:

I am using Win98SE using IE6. :?:

JM
                  Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Just untick that box JM. :thumb:

Comment

or just type in:

http://*.tweaktown.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                        Just untick that box JM. :thumb:
                        That should do the trick - just disable the secure server verification check-box under the list of sites.

negomike - you don't have to type http:// as just the domain will be sufficient, good use of the wildcard though, that really does save time when a domain has multiple forms of addresses such as this site.:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by negomike
                          Actually Mr. C I would really aperciate either a text file or just posted of trusted and restricted sites.

Also, I never had cookies disabled. Was excepting all of them. Was getting multiple pop ups. I only had one window opened pointed at TT, a pop up opened then I clicked a link and a second one opened. I now have 2 pops open.

They are:
                          Cheep Tickets
                          Access You PC from Anywhere!
                          is it possible that adding the http:// is confusing the security tools in IE:?:

You remove that by editing the entry and see if that does the trick.

Comment

OK folks, if you really want to pick out the nasties, here is my domains residing in my registry from usage of the security tools in IE.

""*"=dword:00000002" = a trusted site
                            ""*"=dword:00000004" = a restricted site

Most of the domains can be quickly spotted with no problem
                            some are a bit trickier, as they appear as;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\cnet.com\ads]
                            "*"=dword:00000004

in this instance, the actual site being restricted is ads.cnet.com

Someone with some basic skills in Office could probably clean this up quickly, leaving only the domains behind.

But, I've been doing the work for 2 years already:laugh:

and no, I'm not done yet:shoot3:

some of these might actually be benign, but were on my local drive and considered suspect as they served no purpose I could think of that would be useful to me.

And don't even hassle me about some of the domain names in this file --- you'd be amazed at the garbage you can pick up doing everyday surfing.:no:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                              Someone with some basic skills in Office could probably clean this up quickly, leaving only the domains behind.
                              why clean it up when you can just import it straight to the registery?
                              then if you want to have access to some of the sites on hte restricted list, go and delete them from the lsit
                              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I have my Privacy level set to MEDIUM in IE6. Never had any problems with accepting cookies and I'm not stopping now. In my opinion trying to block cookies and restricting sites only causes problems because they won't operate the way they were designed to.

Use of spyware killers and regular maintenance/cleaning of registry etc. (as per my XP Guide ;)) makes sure that I've never had any foul play or problems on my machine.
                                My Machine

Comment

Working...
                                X